ask: I'm so confused about my irregular periods

By runnergirl23

I am 17 and a junior in high school. I started my period when I was a freshman. they were never regular. They ranged from 2 days long to 2 weeks long and would happen ever couple of months to maybe even twice a month. I started having sex so I got on birth control, then I stopped taking it about 8 months ago. Since then I haven't had a period. I started running about 6 months ago for my schools track team, we run about 6 miles a day. My periods were still irregular tho before I started running. I weigh 120 and have weighed that for years now. I'm just wondering what is going on, if you need any more details I'll be happy to give them!

Hi runnergirl23

Firstly, you do have irregular periods since the birth control pill helped with that. Why did you stop taking it? You may want to reconsider.

Also, over-exercising can stop periods altogether - since you run so much, could this be the case? Do you do other exercises too?

I think it's a good idea to visit your doctor and discuss your options as well as have an exam. There are certain conditions like PCOS that can cause a lack of periods too.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: