I'm so congested! How can I clear my nasal passages?

I have a bad cold and can't breathe! Are there any ways to relieve some of the pressure in my head? Any natural remedies I might have in my home? 

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable! Feeling so congested can make a person feel like their head is going to explode. 

Taking a shower first thing in the morning is a great way to clear your nose and head. 

A neti-pot works for many. These are ancient techniques that "rinse" the sinuses. A neti-pot looks like a tiny tea pot with a long spout. Fill the pot with filtered water and salt (to make a saline solution) and lean over a sink. Pour the solution down one nostril - it'll come out the other nostril. Do the same on the other side. 

A proper saline solution is about three quarters of a tea spoon of fine grain sea salt to every 16 oz of water. This is similar to your own body's balance. You can also buy this solution at any pharmacy/drugstore. 

You can make a large bowl of boiling water and, with a towel over your head, lean over it to aid with congestion. 

Let us know if any of these methods work for you! We hope you feel better soon! 

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your suggestions! I took your advice and hopped right in the shower this morning. It helped clear a lot of the "icky" feeling so far, but I am hesitant to use a netty pot (the idea of pouring things UP my nose scares me!)

Drinking some tea and hoping this cold will pass!

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide