Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

ask: im a virgin and haven't gotten my period in over 3 months

Im a 16 year old virgin who has not had any sexual intercouse or anything else besides kissing. I started my period two years and a half ago, the day after my 14 birthday and I never get even the slightest cramps when on my period. My Last period started January 12 and ended January 17. Since then I havent gotten my period, no spotting or anything except that I get extremely painful cramps everymonth around the 13th, but that is all. What could be wrong? Help please! :(

Anonymous

When I just started my period I would skip one month then get it the next but about 5 months before my last period I had been getting my periods every month. Do you think that the earlier one month skipping may have played a role in this? And why do ovarian cyst occur? Thank you so much for your help by the way :)

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Causes

Follicles grow in the ovaries each month. They make hormones and release an egg during ovulation. In some cases, follicles may become cysts. There are two main types:

• Functional cyst—occurs when a normal monthly follicle does not mature properly and the egg is not released
    • These cysts go away on their own within 1-3 menstrual cycles.
  • Follicular cyst—occurs after an egg is released
    • These cysts go away on their own in a few weeks.
    • These are a type of functional cyst.

Most are functional cysts. They only occur during childbearing years. Many other, less common types of benign cysts can also form from ovarian tissue. For example, if you have endometriosis , you may form cysts from the uterine tissue on an ovary.

Polycystic ovary syndrome is also linked to cysts. This happens when several small cysts (more than 10) grow in the ovaries.

In a small percentage of cases, cysts are caused by cancer .

Another condition linked to cysts is ectopic pregnancy . Your doctor will do a pregnancy test to rule this out.

Risk Factors

The main risk factor is being a woman of childbearing age.

Please click on the link that I gave you above, all of this information is included there. 

Best of luck,

Rosa

If you have consistently had a period for 2 years and all of a sudden stop getting it and you are getting cramps every month, then please see your OB/GYN. If you do not have an OB/GYN please ask your primary care physician to refer you to one. You may have ovarian cysts that may be causing the pain and can also be the cause of your missed periods.

http://www.empowher.com/condition/ovarian-cysts/definition

Keep us posted and good luck,

Rosa

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)