Implantation bleeding or a light period?

My "period" started 5 days early, which is shocking for me because I am usually a couple of days late. That morning I had some intense cramping and very little spotting through out the day (only half a tampons worth). When I woke the next morning my tampon was completely full. I have changed it only once today and my bleeding has subsided to just light bleeding or what I consider spotting since I normally have a very heavy flow. I have only needed a panty liner for and there is barely anything on it, just pinkish brown blood when I wipe.

What could this be?

Implantation bleeding is generally droplets - it would never be enough to fill a tampon. Have you been having unprotected sex? If not, you can likely rule out pregnancy.

It sounds like you have an early period, even though that is not something that generally happens to you. You can take a pregnancy test to rule out that possibility if you like.