Increasing Calorie Intake Without Gaining Weight?

By July 28, 2011 - 10:05am

I've been losing weight for about 1 1/2 to 2 months and I've lost 30 pounds. I cut calories and I walk at least 2 1/2 hours every day and I thought I was just losing weight quickly, but then I decided to count my calories. It turns out I was intaking only 300-400 more calories, which I am not comfortable with at all. I want to increase my calorie intake to a healthy amount after I hit the goal weight, but I'm not sure how to do that without gaining weight. Should I increase by 100-200 calories per week? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance. (I'm 5'7", 143-146, by the way.)

Thank you so much for answering! I haven't been feeling badly at all (better, actually), so maybe I'm eating less badly than I thought after all. I'm glad to hear you believe I won't gain weight and I'm perfectly happy with the weight loss slowing down, as I'm almost at my goal weight. I will definitely be increasing my calories. :) Thank you again.

Hi Hannah

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your weight loss!

However, I'm sure you may have realized that consuming only 400 calories per day and walking 2.5 hours per day is an excessive diet and (over) exercise combination. This is likely why you lost a whopping 30 pounds in 6-8 weeks - weight loss like this is generally only seen after weight loss surgery.

You are better off consuming about 1200 (min) to 1500 calories per day and exercising about 60 to 90 minutes so you don't overdo things. Increasing your calorie intake by 200 calories is not enough. I know it's really exciting to lose so much weight so quickly but you will not be able to sustain this lifestyle for much longer.

Also, consuming 400 calories per day and exercising this much should find you exhausted and starving (literally). You may be taking in more calories than you think or you would be feeling terribly unwell by now. Keeping a food journal is a great idea.

You will not gain weight by increasing your caloric intake, but you will see this kind of dramatic weight loss slow down, which is far better for your overall health and progress.

I hope this helps and be safe in your health and exercise regime!

Weight Loss