Intermittent toe pain on 4th toe

By November 27, 2009 - 12:07pm

When I first get out of bed I have terrible pain under my 4th toe of my left foot. It is hard to walk-- I have to limp. After about 15-20 min it goes away. I'm usually fine during the day and then towards the end of the day, it returns. I've looked up neuroma but the pain is only on the bottom side of my 4th toe. Could it be something else? Thanks!!

Anonymous

I too have pain in the 4th toe of my left foot. It usually occurs after I walk 4 or 5 miles. It is a severe burning feeling. I stop, take off my shoe, and rub the toe. That seems to help for a short time. My internist thinks that it is a nerve issue. He said that as one ages (I'm 72) the padding under our feet is thinner. He suggested adding padding. If his diagnosis is correct, I'm not sure where to add the padding. To me, the pain feels like it is on the top of the toe. Does anyone else experience this? What have you done? I asked him for a prescription for lydocane but I haven't filled it yet.

Anonymous

I believe it is neuroma
I have had it on and off through the last 3 years. Avoid wearing tight fitted shoes. It agravates it and then it sticks around for a few weeks.
You can get insoles made that have a pad to spread your 3rd and fourth toe .
Heals also agrevate the condition

Anonymous

My problem is inside the fourth left toe. I will be walking along with no problem, when suddenly out of nowhere I'll take a step, and BAM! my toe feels as if it has been crushed in a vise. I often yelp in pain. It scares my husband to death. I recently saw a doc who said neuroma, but I'm not convinced. She pretty much said that there's not much to be done. This has been going on for several years. Anybody with similar experience?

This is exactly what I have been getting in my fourth toe. As it doesn't last I haven't had it looked at my like yourself am not convinced it is morton neuroma. Has anyone responded to your post with a diagnosis?

If you have Morton's Neuroma, your doctor is very wrong - surgery can heal this completely. My husband's surgery was 100% successful.

See a specialist rather than a general practitioner.

Anonymous

I have been having lft side 4th toe numbness with pain for about 2 months. It does not go away. When I wear any of my shoes that I have been wearing for years, it makes it worse. Am going to doctor Dec 2. Hopefully will get some answers.

Anonymous

I also have that popping tendon pain in my fourth toe when I walk. I sure would like to know what that is. I wonder if age has anything to do with it. My guess is nerve damage as I have bulging disc problems in my neck.

I have the same problem with the 4th toe on my left foot. The pain occurs as I lift my left foot while walking. I can duplicate the problem when I'm barefoot sitting in a chair and I use my thumb to press on the bottom of my left foot between my 3rd and 4th toe. The pain occurs when I let the pressure off. My 4th toe snaps back into place and the shooting pain in my toe is like a guitar string being plucked by a pick. I usually only get the pain when I've been walking barefoot on hard floors. Uneven ceramic tile floors are the worst. I'm able to tolerate the pain by wearing shoes and keeping my toes tightly flexed to keep pressure off of the spot between my 3rd and 4th toes. Going to a doctor soon to get this checked out.

(reply to Anonymous)

Did you get a diagnosis I have exact same problem

I would love to know what it is. I have even had and MRI and Dr. doesn't know. You described it better than I could. Please update us thanks