Q: 

Intermittent toe pain on 4th toe

By November 27, 2009 - 12:07pm

When I first get out of bed I have terrible pain under my 4th toe of my left foot. It is hard to walk-- I have to limp. After about 15-20 min it goes away. I'm usually fine during the day and then towards the end of the day, it returns. I've looked up neuroma but the pain is only on the bottom side of my 4th toe. Could it be something else? Thanks!!

Anonymous

I concur with the Morton's Neuroma idea. I've had that for the past five years. I go to someone good who shoots cortisone into the foot every year or two when the "bee sting" pain bothers me with every step.

Anonymous

In my opinion this is a Morton's Neuroma, I had the op on my right foot and it doesn't happen anymore and now have in my left foot so fully intend to have the op again. The pain is truly horrid, I empathise, but something can be done. Good luck.

I have recurring pain in my 4th. toe. It comes out of nowhere - and leaves the same way, usually after a few to several days. Right now, sitting in bed, if I just press my toes down on the bed even slightly, I get terrible pain in 4th. toe. Just touching my toe with my finger hurts terribly, especially on the right side or from behind/bottomside of toe. But even worse is the ITCH. Especially if I touch it, I get the absolute worst, most incessant itch, and I can scratch it until it is raw and can NEVER reach the itch, so I'm thinking its nerve itch sensation rather than topical itch. My toe also appears red and swollen overall. After reserching I'm thinking its a neuroma. Has anyone received a diagnosis, who has also had redness, swelling and ITCH with their toe pain? Im unemployed right now and have been wearing slippers most days, so my feet are not squeezed into shoes right now or being put under much stress. Thank you!

Anonymous

I too have pain in the 4th toe of my left foot. It usually occurs after I walk 4 or 5 miles. It is a severe burning feeling. I stop, take off my shoe, and rub the toe. That seems to help for a short time. My internist thinks that it is a nerve issue. He said that as one ages (I'm 72) the padding under our feet is thinner. He suggested adding padding. If his diagnosis is correct, I'm not sure where to add the padding. To me, the pain feels like it is on the top of the toe. Does anyone else experience this? What have you done? I asked him for a prescription for lydocane but I haven't filled it yet.

Mine is same toe. Started with itchy feeling on top and now extremely sore on top when I rub finger across it. I don't know what it is.

Anonymous

I believe it is neuroma
I have had it on and off through the last 3 years. Avoid wearing tight fitted shoes. It agravates it and then it sticks around for a few weeks.
You can get insoles made that have a pad to spread your 3rd and fourth toe .
Heals also agrevate the condition

Anonymous

My problem is inside the fourth left toe. I will be walking along with no problem, when suddenly out of nowhere I'll take a step, and BAM! my toe feels as if it has been crushed in a vise. I often yelp in pain. It scares my husband to death. I recently saw a doc who said neuroma, but I'm not convinced. She pretty much said that there's not much to be done. This has been going on for several years. Anybody with similar experience?

This is exactly what I have been getting in my fourth toe. As it doesn't last I haven't had it looked at my like yourself am not convinced it is morton neuroma. Has anyone responded to your post with a diagnosis?

If you have Morton's Neuroma, your doctor is very wrong - surgery can heal this completely. My husband's surgery was 100% successful.

See a specialist rather than a general practitioner.

Anonymous

I have been having lft side 4th toe numbness with pain for about 2 months. It does not go away. When I wear any of my shoes that I have been wearing for years, it makes it worse. Am going to doctor Dec 2. Hopefully will get some answers.