Intermittent toe pain on 4th toe

By DomesticRuby November 27, 2009 - 12:07pm

When I first get out of bed I have terrible pain under my 4th toe of my left foot. It is hard to walk-- I have to limp. After about 15-20 min it goes away. I'm usually fine during the day and then towards the end of the day, it returns. I've looked up neuroma but the pain is only on the bottom side of my 4th toe. Could it be something else? Thanks!!

Anonymous

I have been having lft side 4th toe numbness with pain for about 2 months. It does not go away. When I wear any of my shoes that I have been wearing for years, it makes it worse. Am going to doctor Dec 2. Hopefully will get some answers.

Anonymous

I also have that popping tendon pain in my fourth toe when I walk. I sure would like to know what that is. I wonder if age has anything to do with it. My guess is nerve damage as I have bulging disc problems in my neck.

I have the same problem with the 4th toe on my left foot. The pain occurs as I lift my left foot while walking. I can duplicate the problem when I'm barefoot sitting in a chair and I use my thumb to press on the bottom of my left foot between my 3rd and 4th toe. The pain occurs when I let the pressure off. My 4th toe snaps back into place and the shooting pain in my toe is like a guitar string being plucked by a pick. I usually only get the pain when I've been walking barefoot on hard floors. Uneven ceramic tile floors are the worst. I'm able to tolerate the pain by wearing shoes and keeping my toes tightly flexed to keep pressure off of the spot between my 3rd and 4th toes. Going to a doctor soon to get this checked out.

I would love to know what it is. I have even had and MRI and Dr. doesn't know. You described it better than I could. Please update us thanks

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

My husband has suffered the same (and it generally gets worse) issue for several years. He was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma and his symptoms match yours. Morton's is often misdiagnosed but he had surgery for this on Monday and the surgeon told him he had a glaring case of Morton's.

If this is the case with you and you are considering surgery: you will be in a "boot" for a couple of weeks and have discomfort for a couple of weeks too but the outcome is generally very positive with a full recovery.

If you do discover this is what you have, let me know on this page and I can give you further information about my husband's experience as he will be well along in his recovery by then.
http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/mortons-neuroma

Anonymous

I was at doctors yesterday for pain in 4th toe (only when pressure put on it, although it feels different (but not sore) when there's no pressure on it.
I have had this pain for 3 years, but got x-Ray initially and it came back fine. It's now affecting my daily life, hence my reason for return to doctors.
Turns out it is nerve damage and it won't go away (if it was going to disappear it would have done by now).
Gp gave me pain killers, but other options were low dosage of anti-depressants or epilepsy tablets - both help with nerve damage.

Is your fourth toe feel slightly numb on top as well. My symptoms mimic yours do you have a diagnosis.

Anonymous

hi
i have got sore toe the fourth one now the vein is affected from that toe please an answer

Anonymous

No one ever has an answer for this. Mortons neuroma occurs inside the foot itself between either the 2nd and 3rd toes or more commonly, the 3rd and 4th toes. The question is, what might a poping accompanied by pain in the base of the 4th toe be? I have this too. It feels like a tendon or nerve gets caught on something and as it stretches, it pops. I dont have pain but very strange sensation.

Anonymous

I have had the same symptoms for months,,,,I started a job as a flight attendant in February, I work inside the smaller jets….and the pain has become excruciating when I am on the plane. It does not happen on the larger jets when I am traveling….dont know what kind of dr to go to…
a podiatrist or orthopedic any ideas

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :