Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Intermittent toe pain on 4th toe

By DomesticRuby

When I first get out of bed I have terrible pain under my 4th toe of my left foot. It is hard to walk-- I have to limp. After about 15-20 min it goes away. I'm usually fine during the day and then towards the end of the day, it returns. I've looked up neuroma but the pain is only on the bottom side of my 4th toe. Could it be something else? Thanks!!

Anonymous

No one ever has an answer for this. Mortons neuroma occurs inside the foot itself between either the 2nd and 3rd toes or more commonly, the 3rd and 4th toes. The question is, what might a poping accompanied by pain in the base of the 4th toe be? I have this too. It feels like a tendon or nerve gets caught on something and as it stretches, it pops. I dont have pain but very strange sensation.

Anonymous

I have had the same symptoms for months,,,,I started a job as a flight attendant in February, I work inside the smaller jets….and the pain has become excruciating when I am on the plane. It does not happen on the larger jets when I am traveling….dont know what kind of dr to go to…
a podiatrist or orthopedic any ideas

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm sorry about your pain. 

I wouldn't think the size of the plane should affect your pain but are you wearing a different shoe uniform? Or do you remember injuring your foot at any time, in the smaller plane? 

You could see either podiatrist or an ortho.

Anonymous

One day I go to spa for a swedish massage. However, while the trained therapist starting about to massage my foot I felt that it was painful on my fourth toe beside my big toe. I don't know what happened. The next day I came back and I told them that the pain is still there and they just massage it again..But until now it is painful & I was so worried about this because it was 5days from that day and it wasn't well...Can anyone help me here what will I do? Thank's...

I also have this pain in my second toe (which is the one beside your big toe) and in my case, I have nerve damage from playing sports. I think it's a good idea to see a doctor if you are still in pain in the coming week. Give yourself another week to heal but don't get any massages or wear high heels why you wait.

Good

Anonymous

I have the same symptoms although I describe it as "bee sting" pain under my 4th toe. I tested negative for Morton's. I am waiting for x-ray results. Please share if you discovered the cause and any successful treatments. Thank you!

tesbrown

I am having the same problem. The pain is under the 4th toe. Feels like pinched nerve. Can't walk on it for at least 20 minutes, then it's ok until the end of the day and starts to hurt again when I take my shoes off. I haven't worn heels in over 10 years. Wear Sketcher's now. I checked into Morton's neuroma. Sounds kind of like it. Could it be any other thing?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to tesbrown)

Hi tesbrown

I think your best bet is to rule out Morton's before looking into other reasons, since it does sound like Morton's is what the issue is. If it's not the case, then you can work with your health care provider to find the cause.

~Susan

tesbrown (reply to Susan Cody)

Thanks for your reply Susan. I think you are right about it being Morton's. Is there any home treatments (as I do not have a health care provider). Feet are killing me.

Teresa

Anonymous

I have been having the same exact thing for a few months now. It comes and goes so randomly. If you touch your toe does it hurt? I can squeeze and bend it and it's fine, but when I go to walk it hurts! Has anyone figured it out?

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :