Irritable bowel syndrome

I think I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome,but I'm not sure.
I'm doing a colonoscope next month,but I would like some information about the subject.
My belly started to become bigger and bigger,expanded itself...I had always had a flat belly,nice and youthful,and now my figure has changed because of this problem.I don't have pain or anything like that,but my belly continues to grow...
I'm a nervous and anxious person,and last year,when it all started,I had an enormous change in my life,I moved country,left job,friends,family,etc...It was a difficult decision,and maybe all that anxiety triggered off this problem.

If it's not irritable bowel syndrome,what could it be? If someone can think about another possibility,please tell me...Anyway,I'm doing the colonoscope and visiting in a month.
Thank you very much.Sorry for my English,I'm Spanish.

Thanks for your reply,Susan.
Well,I had also thought about that possibility,but I always have regular revisions with my gynecologist,it's something that I always do.I'm having my next revision in 3 months.The last time was about 9 months ago,and I talked to her about my problem,and she definitely eliminated any possibility of being something connected with her area,as I always do regular complete exams in that sense...So...I have a question for you...Do you think it's possible that it's something connected with the urinate system (don't know if that's the correct name)...But the fact is that all the gas I feel inside makes me think about the IBS.
Thanks a lot.Bye for now.

Hi Susan,
Thank you very much for your information.
Answering your questions: the symptoms I have other from belly bloating and gas...are really little important,sometimes I feel movements in my bowel,and certain rumour...and sometimes I touch my belly and it seems the rumour of water inside can be heard...Another important thing I didn't mention is that often I feel like I have to urinate,it seems that the gas pushes my bladder ,it's not something urgent,I can absolutely control it,but I would say this are all my symptoms.My doctor told me that is was probably IBS,but now I'm doing that colonoscope to see if I'm really fine...
My dieta is very simple,I eat vegetables,fruit,rice,potatoes,pasta,eggs,little meat and fish,very little milk with some biscuits and wholemeal cereal for breakfast...
But I don't seem to have all the other symptoms you mentioned.
Appart from that,I feel fine,the thing that causes me problems is the belly bloating,because apart from destroying my figure,it makes me feel strange and heavy...
Thank you very much for your attention.I hope to hearing from you soon.Bye!

Dear Anon

Thank you for that update! You have a very well-rounded diet. A lot of people believe that foods like rice and potatoes be eliminated from a diet (that's a rather new way of thinking) whereas I believe that very well-rounded diet without dramatic exclusions is far better. All in moderation, right?

You're off to a wonderful start to figure out what's going on with your body. If your tests come back clear, I think it's very important that you check into the health and condition of your reproductive system. Certain (and sometimes serious) conditions of the female reproductive system can cause the very symptoms that you are experiencing. In fact, no matter your results, I think a visit to your gynecologist is a good idea. May I ask when you last visited him/her?

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and welcome! Your English is perfect, I wish my Spanish was as good!

I agree that huge changes in life can certainly cause some physical changes but your changes seem to be quite specific.

Let's talk about IBS for a moment. Irritable Bowel Syndrome, according to our encyclopedia, is a disorder of the digestive system but one that is manageable in most cases and doesn't develop into something worse. And you are correct - anxiety can play a part.

From our IBS page: The cause is unknown. With IBS, the muscles in the colon do not work normally and may spasm. If you have IBS, your colon may be more sensitive, reacting strongly to food and medication. Food allergies and certain bacteria may add to the symptoms. IBS may also occur after having the stomach flu (called gastroenteritis ).

Risk Factors
These factors increase your chance of developing IBS:

Sex: female
Family members with IBS
Age: typically begins in young adulthood
Abuse (may be associated with IBS)

Symptoms usually come and go and range from mild to severe. They include:

Abdominal cramps
Gas and bloating
Pain that resolves with a bowel movement
Loose stools
Alternating diarrhea and constipation
Urge to move bowels again immediately following a bowel movement
Mucus in the stool

These factors may worsen your symptoms:

Menstrual periods
Large meals or fatty foods
Excess gas

The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. In many cases, a diagnosis can be made based on this. Since there is no diagnostic test for IBS, doctors have created criteria for making a diagnosis.

Your doctor may order the following tests to rule out other conditions:

Analysis of a stool sample to check for blood or evidence of inflammation
Blood tests
Barium enema —injection of fluid into the rectum to make the colon show up on an an x-ray , allows the doctor to see abnormal spots in the colon
Flexible sigmoidoscopy —a thin, lighted tube inserted into the rectum to examine the rectum and the lower colon
Colonoscopy —a thin, lighted tube inserted through the rectum and into the colon to examine the lining of the entire colon

Read lots more on our IBS page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/irritable-bowel-syndrome

Anon, I think it's wonderful you are being proactive and getting some testing done soon. But you haven't mentioned symptoms other than belly fat and anxiety. What else is going on that makes you (and your doctor) believe it could be IBS? Can you tell us what else is happening with your body? And how is your diet? Then we can help you more and talk about other possibilities that may be looked into.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Guide