Is it bad to bite my nails?

I have the worst habit of biting my nails. Is it bad to bite my nails? Are there any health risks associated with that?

Hi Lauren

Yeah - it's pretty bad to bite nails! 

Not only is it off-putting to those around you (one of my kids does it at times and it makes me gag!) but nail-biting can cause nails to become too short and uncomfortable, as well as cause painful hang nails. 

Our nails are also full of bacteria if we do not wash our hands and nails well. So any dirt or bacteria goes straight into your mouth for injection. These bacteria could include viruses and e-coli. 

We need some length on our nail to protect the nail beds from harm  infections. Very short nails from biting will lessen this protection. 

Nails should be kept short (little length is ok but long nails are not hygienic), manicured and clean. 

To help with nail biting (which is petty common by the way, so don't feel too bad!), look into ways to quit. For these methods, check out our article on this topic here: 

You can be bite-free in no time! Let us know how quitting is going for you!