Is it bad to sleep with makeup on?

By HERWriter Blogger January 19, 2015 - 11:41am

Usually I'm really good about taking my makeup before bed. But there have been a few times when I'm so tired, I fall asleep before doing that. Is it bad to sleep with makeup on? How can it affect my skin?

HERWriter Blogger

Hey Susan,

Good to know! When I have fallen asleep with makeup, but skin often breaks out later that day. Makes sense why now!

Hi Erin

Leaving your makeup on won't cause you a disease but it's not good - simply because your skin is not clean before going to bed. I'm very guilty of this too, at times. 

When your skin has been cleansed, it feels much better in the morning when you wake up. It has had time to breath and rejuvenate without anything clogging your pores. And people who cleanse at night usually moisturize so that the skin feels more supple and soft in the morning. 

Not cleansing your skin can cause acne (due to bacteria) that can take a long time to clear up and can make the skin look dull.

It's also important to clean off eye makeup. During sleep, mascara can enter the eye and cause infections.

Removal will also keep your sheets clean and you won't wake up looking like a raccoon after a hard night of partying! 

Read more here for lots of skin and beauty tips! 

Beauty Guide