Is it common for people with RA to try multiple medications without relief?

By Anonymous March 28, 2012 - 10:09am

I was diagnosed with RA January 2011. Since then I have been on methotrexate, methotrexate and Enbrel, Humira alone and now will be receiving my 2nd dose of Actemra. I can not pass judgement on the Actemra yet as I have not had enough doses but the other medications gave me minimal relief - in fact Humira alone has given me no relief at all. Is this common? I have become so worn down by the pain. Fortunately I have absolutely no joint damage at this point.

Thank you for responding. Fortunately I have found a wonderful Doctor. He is aware of my level of pain and checks in with me often to be sure we are addressing my disease correctly. Honestly if Actemra does not help I will have to "reboot" as I am becoming very frustrated and discouraged. I am normally a positive person but living like this has been difficult. Time will tell I suppose. It is good to know that others have had a problem finding the correct medication because I have hope that there will be a medication that works.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I'm sorry you're dealing with RA.

Yes, it can take a long time to sort out what medications ca work for RA so this is quite common. Sometimes it can be years and dosages can change too, over long periods of time. Unfortunately, this is the nature of autoimmune diseases.

Does your doctor know the level of pain you are in? What has he/she said about your treatment plan?

Rheumatoid Arthritis