it has been a while, but my problem in the morning when I get up , my sinuses, are filled with sometimes white mucus and green, it is hard to breath, through my nose when this happens. What can I do.?

By Anonymous December 5, 2014 - 5:31pm

also in the winter time, I wake with blood stuffed in the nose.

Thanks for your post. Sinuses can cause a lot of trouble and discomfort. But first, I think you need to see a doctor to rule out an infection. But there are lots of natural methods to help "clear out" the sinuses. 

Often, sinus irrigation with a light salt water solution is sufficient to clear up sinus congestion. This is where “neti pots” come in. These are small pots that look like miniature teapots. You usually find them at natural food stores. You simply fill the neti pot with warm salt water, stand over a sink, and pour the little pot of water up your nose. The experience isn’t that pleasant, but the results may be excellent.

Another way to go is to breathe the vapors of certain aromatic substances including menthol or eucalyptus. The Swiss company Olbas makes a couple of terrific products in this category. One, the Olbas inhaler, contains menthol, oils of peppermint, Cajeput and eucalyptol, one of the components of eucalyptus. You just apply the inhaler to your nose, take a nice breath, and the vapors open up the sinuses.

Another Olbas product, Olbas Oil, contains the same ingredients. If you are congested, fill a tub with hot water, drop 4 - 5 drops of Olbas oil in the bath, get in, and breathe the vapors.

You may also choose to use a eucalyptus-based supplement product. I like the product SinuCare by EuroPharma. The small soft gelatin capsules contain a particular extract of eucalyptus. You swallow a capsule, and over the course of half an hour or so your sinuses clear up. This product is especially good if you are trying to rid yourself of a more chronic sinus problem.

Yet another way to go is to suck on a eucalyptus-based cough drop. You will find that as you suck on them your sinuses open up. This is a quick, inexpensive way to go.

Many people cannot tolerate dairy products, though they often don’t know it, and simply live with congested sinuses for years at a time. If you suffer chronic sinus congestion, you might want to try eliminating all milk, cheese, cream, etc for a time, to see if that makes a difference. If you find that your sinuses open up, then stay off the dairy and enjoy the breathing.

Environmental allergens including dust, yeast and molds can also contribute to sinus troubles. Inadequate air filtration in office buildings, unclean environments and “sick buildings” with mold may cause sinus troubles that don’t stop no matter what you try.

For most sinus troubles, nature offers simple relief, in the ways and types of products I have described above. Remember, we need to breathe, all day and all night. Keeping sinuses open and clear makes this twenty-four hour experience more enjoyable.

I hope this helps you, Anon! 

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide