Is it normal to bleed for a week after sex?

hi, i'm very worried because i've bled for a week solid after sexual intercourse with a new partner, then stopped on the weekend, where it gave us the go ahead to have sex again, twice, then noticed a period like feeling down below, went to the loo and seen a very light/pale red colored discharge, now am bleeding again (asif its a normal period) am using the contraceptive implant and on my last year. Also have regular appointments at the colposcopy clinic (on this weds) for abnormal cells, unsure whether its precancerous cells or something different because they haven't told me what is causing the abnormal cells..

This kind of bleeding is NOT normal after sex. Even if the only reason was a lack of lubricant (this can cause minor bleeding) you should certainly not be bleeding so heavily for so long.

I'm glad you have an appointment this week with your gynecologist. This bleeding may have something to do with cervical damage (your colposcopy results should tell you that) or something to do with your current sexual activity. Please make sure your doctor knows about this bleeding and don't have sex until after your visit in order to help the bleeding stop.

I wish you the best and please update us after your visit.

Hey, i had my appointment at the colposcopy clinic, however my gyno wouldn't do the colposcopy due to the heavy bleeding, however it has now stopped, so she booked me in for tomorrow, to do the colposcopy, smear and i think she's going to test for p.i.d because i told her about slight pain over both my ovaries, so should all be resolved quite soon. :) x

Hi again

Thanks so much for the update, I'm sorry this bleeding interfered with your previous appointment but am glad you are getting it checked out.

Please keep updating us, I'm interested to know what's going on.

Good luck-

Hey, had the colposcopy appointment succesfully also had an sti expert from the hospital there who performed the examination rather than my normal gyno, i asked to be checked for everything which is probably why he was there, however, the pre-cancerous cells have come back, he took some biopsies, she said if they come back moderate she'll do the surgerical procedure to remove the cells, she's not concerned whatsoever with the bleeding, she thinks its the implanon, but i'm thinking its the pre-cancerous cells.

Hi again!

Precancerous cells generally should not cause this bleeding but Implanon does cause irregular bleeding - it's a common side effect.

Good luck with the biopsy results and keep us posted!