is it normal to get your period VERY early after taking the morning after pill?

By June 3, 2010 - 3:38pm

Me and my boyfriend were having sex when the condom broke, we didn't notice it and he finished inside me. I went and got the morning after pill right away. I experienced terrible nauseous, and the next day i thought i started spotting a bit. It didnt stop and now it has turned so heavy so i am assuming it is my normal period. However i am not due to get mine for about 2 and a half more weeks. I am wondering if this is normal, if it really is my period, and if this will mean my cycle will be messed up or not. I wanted to go on the pill but now i am wondering if that too could only mess with my body more.

( I have used the morning after pill once before, and i experienced none of this, everything was normal.)

Anonymous

Hello!
I had sex on February 10th, which was my 7th cycle day (which as i understand is the infertile day?). We used withdrawal method, however, he was not sure if he finished inside me or not. After 2 or 3 hours, I took the emergency after pill. Then after 5 days I experienced bleeding for 4 days, starting with a brown discharge. Was this my real period or just spotting? As well, if looking from my "real cycle", I should have gotten my period on March 4th, however, it is now March 6th, and still no period. I am starting to really stress, whether everything is okey and whether there is no chance of pregnancy. As well, I did not have unprotected sex afterwards.
Thank you in advance!

Hello Anon

Having sex on day 7 is generally safe but there are no guarantees of course.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed as a result of taking emergency contraception.

Anonymous

Hii..i took unprotected sex bymistakely the condom was broke n i took ipill on same day whn i had sex after 13 days i got lightly blood my period date is on 10th bt the spotted blood is frm 4th only ..please suggest it's due to ipill or the symptoms of pregnant pls suggest

I had unprotected sex on February 25 morning with my boyfriend and didn't took the plan b until the 28th. I spotted like 8:20 on March 5th and i just need to wait to see if it's my period. I usually start mine on the 22nd every month. Could my period come early or am I pregnant? I don't know...

Anonymous

Hi,
I took the morning after pill a few weeks ago and then my period started a week after I took it. My period ended around February 21th and I had unprotected sex on the 22nd. He did not come inside me and I haven't had sex since then. I started to feel pain like period pain and have a sore lower back about 2 days ago. should I take the pregnancy test now or wait for a few days?
Thanks.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Wait for your next period to start. Be aware that an emergency contraceptive can cause changes in your menstrual cycle. Your next period might start earlier or later than expected, but not by more than five days.

If your period for March is late by more than one week, then test.

Regards,

Anonymous

I Did it February 14th and took the pill on February 15th. He didn't cum inside, he used a condom, but I might have been rubbed slightly with pre cum without a condom before hand. I took a test on Thursday and it was obviously negative (but the test was from the dollar store so idk). I got what seems like a period today which is February 21st. It's not spotting. Am I good?

Hello Anon

Your period is confirmation that you are not pregnant.

Anonymous

Hello. I had sex for the first time last Feb 12, 4th day of my period. He did not cum inside me for sure but I took Plan B on the 15th just to be sure because I'm afraid of the pre-cum. And it was my first time so I'm very afraid. Experienced spotting on the 18th till today, 20th. It's starting to feel like a normal period since it's a little heavier than spotting now. My next period shoul be on Mar 11. Should I expect later than that since I'm currently bleeding now or stick to Mar 11? Are there any chances of pregnancy? I'm feeling light headed and experiencing cramps days after i took it. Iam so stressed. PLEase help me. IS fever normal? I dont think this is from the pill tho. Im just so tired from work. thanks

Hello Anon

Thank you for your post.

Never have unprotected sex unless you are ready for a pregnancy.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting.

Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed as a result of taking emergency contraception.

Fever is a sign you may have a virus or infection. Consider talking to your doctor about this.