is it normal to get your period VERY early after taking the morning after pill?

By June 3, 2010 - 3:38pm

Me and my boyfriend were having sex when the condom broke, we didn't notice it and he finished inside me. I went and got the morning after pill right away. I experienced terrible nauseous, and the next day i thought i started spotting a bit. It didnt stop and now it has turned so heavy so i am assuming it is my normal period. However i am not due to get mine for about 2 and a half more weeks. I am wondering if this is normal, if it really is my period, and if this will mean my cycle will be messed up or not. I wanted to go on the pill but now i am wondering if that too could only mess with my body more.

( I have used the morning after pill once before, and i experienced none of this, everything was normal.)

Anonymous

Hi,
My last normal period began on December 24th 2016 and ended December 27th. My boyfriend came over on the 31st and we lost our virginity to each other. Half way through, he had to go to the toilet and returned, and we kept going for about 20 minutes with no condom on (we were previously using protection). He did not finish inside me (in fact did not finish at all) and so we gave up and he went home. The next morning i became petrified at the thought of pregnancy even though he did not cum ! So i went to the pharmacy and got the ECP pill, took it, and on the 7th of January (2017, exactly 7 days after taking the pill) began to experience cramps and spotting. I absolutely freaked out and immediately thought I was pregnant, but then the bleeding continued for a couple of days until the 11th, seeming like a normal period.
To conclude this essay of information, I am wondering if I will get my normal period when it would normally be expected (anywhere between the 20th and 26th of this month) or whether this period (that was nearly 3 weeks early) will become my cycle ? and am i still at risk of pregnancy?

thanks in advance

Hello I had my periods on 20 december and i had unprotected sex on 1 jan. I took plan B. And now my period came 1.5 weeks early and only for three days with brownish discharge and then normal discharge Am I pregnant?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymousssss)

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting.

Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.

Anonymous

Hello,
I took a plan B pill about a week into my birth control pack because I had to miss a couple days. I started bleeding about two weeks later, a week before my period was supposed to come. Is this the plan B and just my period or could I be pregnant?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The bleeding is proof that you are not pregnant. It was probably caused by taking Plan B.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello everyone I had sex the 25th and I took the pill the 26th I read the box and it said it has to be taken before the 72 hour mark and I took it around 30 hours later. The next day I started having headaches and they have not stopped. I also have felt very tired. One week after I took the pill I experienced bleeding and it looks like my period except it's about 3 weeks early, should I be worried? I've felt really off, I am affaid I don't know if this is all caused by the pill or if any diseases were passed on? I'm just very open to anything that can happen, I might be over reacting about the diseases part because the guy I had sex with said he was clean and we used protection but the condom might have ripped.. I'm freaking out can I be pregnant, contaminated with something, or can all these symptoms be because of the plan b pill?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The bleeding was caused by taking the pill and is proof that it worked to prevent pregnancy. There is nothing to worry about.

You may be experiencing the side effects of the pill. They should pass within two weeks or so. If you continue to feel off and would feel better seeing your gynecologist, do so.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hey,
I had a slip up with my boyfriend last month and the condom broke, so I took the morning after pill and my period came a week late. However, this month, I'm now bleeding 2 weeks early.. it's not bright red blood, but brown and really unlike my usual period.
I was just wondering if it's normal for your period to be messed up for more than one cycle after taking the morning after pill?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Generally, an ECP side effect on the menstrual cycle is for one cycle. But, every woman is different, and you may be responding differently. Consider speaking with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi, Me and my boyfriend had sex Dec 5th and I took a plan b pill after that we had sex again Dec 15 he cum in me 2x I didn't take the plan pill again because I figured taking it this month eliminate pregnancy for the month but I started bleeding Dec 21 my next period supposed to be due the dec25 so is this my period or might I be pregnant after this