Is it normal to have alot of blood clots during your period?

By June 22, 2010 - 3:40am

I am now 40 and it seems that I am having more blood clots during my period the older I get. I do not take any form of birth control and I don't smoke which I know can cause more blood clots. My mother died from ovarian cancer so I worry alot about any problems with my ovaries.

Can you tell us when you last had a medical exam by your gynecologist?

Do you have any excessive/heavy menstrual bleeding that includes:
- soaking more than one pad or tampon in an hour?
- bleeding for more than 7 days?

Many women describe having "blood clots" during their menstrual periods, but most of these are normal and are just occurring during a heavy period. The clumps of blood that we see is actually tissue from the lining of our uterus that is being shed during our period, and sometimes it comes out in larger "clumps", sometimes as a heavy flow or a light flow.

Do you feel that what you are seeing during menstruation is a normal clump of tissue, or are you concerned that it is a blood clot that is abnormal? I can provide some more information, I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page as far as what we are discussing. Plus, I would like to know when you were last at your doctor's and/or when your next appointment is.

Hope to hear back from you soon!