Is it normal to have a period lasting 2 weeks?

Any advice would be so helpful as I'm a real stress head.
I had my baby girl 8 months ago and breastfed for 5 months with no periods throughout. She is now 8 months and I'm still currently on my first period,i think its already two weeks long,is this right? I thought long periods were a bad sign? anyway we're really keen to have another baby so does this mean my fertility is out of line at the moment?or normal? should we try for a baby once this period ends?also where do you get the thermometers from to check ovulation time?any advice or help would be so appreciated as I'd rather not have to go and sit at the doctors with swine flu on the increase.
Thanks so much.

Thanks so much,really helpful,yes it is my first period after having my baby so i guess it will be a long one ,just hope things get back to normal in a few months.
Thanks again for your advice and info.
Vic x

Hi Vic

If this is your first period after having a baby, then it might be longer than normal and quite heavy. If it doesn't go back to normal in a few months, you may want to mention it to your doctor.

If you want to try for another baby, you're right, it might be a little tricky right now if your cycle is not back to normal. You can buy at ovulation predictor test in any drugstore/pharmacy - they are located in the same aisle as pregnancy tests (handy, eh?!)

Also, having sex every other day is a good way to not miss ovulation. Try this and see what happens, along with using an ovulation predictor test. You may also want to chart your basil body temperature and use that method to check for ovulation.

We have a great section on fertility and menstrual cycles here and it includes understanding basal body temps. You can find it here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/fertility-and-your-menstrual-cycle

Congrats on your baby and good luck trying for #2!