Is it possible to lose weight after surgical menopause?

I had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed eight years ago at 33 years old due to endometriosis. When the surgery was performed I weighed 145 at 5'8" and worked out occasionally. I don't take hormone replacement and my thyroid has been checked out. My weight has now ballooned to 190 and I am a borderline diabetic with borderline high cholestrol.

I spend an hour and half in the gym at leat three times a week (30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes on the bike, and 30 minutes lifting weights). On the off days, I try to walk at least a couple of miles. My normal calorie intake is around 1200 -1400 a day. I don't eat alot of fried foods or sugar. This has been my routine for at least 6 months with no movement on the scale or lose of inches.

When I talk to my doctor, his suggestion is spend at least another half hour in the gym and cut my calorie intake by another 100 calories. Oh and look into one of those food programs like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers! Not that I have a problem with food programs but I don't believe they are a permanent solution to weight issues unless you want to stay on them for the rest of your life.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions on what else I can try short of a presciption diet pill? I've thought about trying hormone replacement again. Is it possible that by going on hormone replacement my body will get the estrogen it is trying to gain by retaining the fat? Just a thought and maybe I'm totally off base. Does anyone have a good diet program for a diabetic with high cholestrol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im really struggling as well...100 lbs pre radical hysterectomy, now 120 lbs.
I eat healthy as I always have, consistently work out 2 times week at a high intensity training.
I'm on estrogen but starting the birth control pill to get progestin.
Personally I think the estrogen via gel, and now bcp is retaining water.
I can tell Im puffy
I feel like a stranger in my body at 5'1...I was hot, fit...now I have a midsection roll and among other flaws. 34 years old
I don't feel well at all as my bladder was compromised from this surgery
Im married, healthy sexually, why I had to get cancer and now have this to deal with is beyond me.
I feel I need to get onto progesterone not progestin but everything i read i'm confused, HELP
ps i don't care about hot flashes i don't complain, i was healthy, fit and nothing has changed except the cancer plague and radical hyster.
advice appreciated

Diet plays a huge role in weight loss. I had a lot of success with eating clean, diets such as the paleo or Mediterranean diet work well. Also going vegan helps.
The most important thing is to avoid gluten and processed foods.
The body cannot tell the difference between sugar and carbs, and any time you raise your sugar levels you increase insulin output, and that signals you body to retain more calories as fat.
Also, sugar is inflammatory... which isn't good for a lot of illnesses
I hope this helps!

I had uterine cancer and had to have everything removed...(radiation 3 treatments) my age is 47.. I was an avid runner 5 miles a day.. worked out with weights every other day.. Going into surgery my weight was 128.. 4 months later.. I am 150.. running .. weights.. and I pass the kitchen and gain 5 pounds.. !!! Ugg !! Iam at my wits end !!!! surgical menopause has stopped me dead in my tracks with losing a pound !!! Please anyone with answers... HELLLLPPP !!! I live in sweat pants and pass my closet wishing to fit in my clothing that I no longer can get a thigh in... any answer would be great.. p.s. blood work is fine, sugar thyroid.. all good..

I totally understand how you ladies feel! I eat really healthily (no sugar, alcohol or processed food, mostly plant based with lean proteins and good fat) and am very active (cross fit training 3 times a week and boxing twice a week, plus a weekly yoga class and I either walk or cycle everywhere). I went through surgical menopause at 37 (5ft 5 and 130lbs) and cannot take HRT because i'm a high cancer risk. I'm 39 and am 180lbs and cannot shift the weight. Everyone assumes that I must secretly eat tubs of ice cream or sit on my butt all day, but it's just not the case. My thyroid is normal, so if anyone doctors out there has any bright ideas i'd love to hear them.

I had surgical menopause at 30 and I too struggle with my weight. I am 14 years post surgery and every year gets more difficult. I take bioidentical hormone replacement therapy estrogen and progesterone with occasional testosterone. I have researched surgical menopause and weight gain and it seems that much of our struggle is due to hormone imbalance. I think it is nearly impossible to regulate your hormones correctly after you have had your ovaries out at such a young age. There is so little known and barely any treatment for women who have their ovaries removed at such young ages. I would never suggest anyone remove their ovaries unless they are dying. You are never the same and will never get back to where you should be hormonally. I would suggest bioidentical hormone replacement. I can not believe you are not on replacement as you were so young when you had your ovaries removed. I tried to forgo taking hrt and was miserable, hot flashes, moodiness, migraines ect.. If you don't have the proper replacement your risks of osteoporosis and heart disease are much higher. If you go on bhrt you might see your weight stabilize because if you don't have the proper amount of estrogen it effects your thyroid and metabolism along with a host of other things. Do your research, find a good compounding pharmacy and have saliva testing done to help find the correct dosage. Best of luck, I know what your going through and it stinks!!

Anon - I am at somewhat of a loss in terms of how to advise you since I too had a surgical menopause and it did not result in weight gain. I'm curious about your comments about being a borderline diabetic with borderline high cholesterol. Could it be possible that the type of food you're eating, rather than the number of calories, is contributing to the weight gain and the other concerns? Has your doctor discussed implementing a diet that will help you in prevention of diabetes? Jenny Craig provides pre-packaged meals and some "counseling" services. Weight Watchers teaches healthy eating habits for life and the practical aspects of preparing and purchasing food, eating out, maintaining a healthy weight and more.
The Weight Watchers website has some helpful information about weight and diabetes that may help you in assessing your situation. http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=20861

Please check this out, and let me know if you find this helpful. Good luck! Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

I, too, had a 20 lb weight gain after my hysterectomy with both ovaries removed in 12/10. I, too, work out 5 days a week, a minimum of 45 minutes each day. I made a pact with myself that if I went to work, I would work out. I also joined Weight Watchers. Since July, I have lost (ready for this).....6 pounds!!!! Of which, I have managed to gain 3 of it back. Why? I've gotten so tired and fatigued from working out so much, my doctor told me to give the workouts a rest. So I went to working out 3-4 days a week. I'm truly at my wits end. I feel your pain. I'm scheduled to see an endocrinologist in December to see if they have a miracle.

By the way, and I'm not trying to be rude, but don't you just love it when people assume that you're eating too much or not following a diet because you can't lose weight? People should understand that if you are taking the time to explain your symptoms and ask for help that you've truly exhausted most everything that you can think of.

I think what finally did it for me was when he told me to look into a program that one of the other staff at the clinic had success with. It only cost $90 a week and was basically protein based with shakes and a few additional meals. Wait, you want me to spend even more time in the gym plus start drinking protein shakes?! Am I missing something here?

What is even more amazing to me...he ended up giving me a diet pill? I forget the name of it. But, I took it for roughly 5 months and lost 25-30 lbs. I didn't change my workout routine or my eating habits because to me they were both right on target. That to me says it is in the metabolism side. Since I didn't change anything else, what else could it be? It's been about three months and my metabolism is starting to slow down again and I'm starting to gain again :-(

Maybe one day they'll (the doctors) will address this situation instead of steadily scolding us about diet and exercise because I get tired of wasting my breath. I think it should be standard practice to monitor the weight, sugar, and cholestrol of surgically menopausal women and offer them something to counter it because most of us didn't have a choice as to whether we had a hysterectomy or not. I want to scream at the doctors "I already feel horrible enough that I missing "my parts". Do you think I don't want to or have the will power to control my food intake or go to the gym!"

Let me know how your doctor appointment goes. Good luck to you!

Menopause Guide