Is it really ok that I am positive for Trichomoniasis and my boyfriend is negative??

By March 31, 2010 - 9:39am

I was diagnosed with this last week and was given 2 Grams of Flagyl antibiotic. I told my boyfriend and he went to his doctor (thats where he feels comfortable) and his doctor performed a urine and penial analysis. His test came back negative? So he was not treated. We both have not cheated and have been together a year this month.

I am going back to the doctors today at 3pm because I dont think the medicine is working for me because as of yesterday I am having a thick discharge. ((Sorry if its t.m.i))

When I called my doctor they said I may need to take the treatment 2 pills a day for 7 days.

What do you think??
Is it normal that my boyfriend is negative and not medicated but I am positive and have to be treated??

Anonymous

I just had this exact same incident. I was tested positive my boyfriend was tested negative. Yes I did see his test results and now he is looking at me as if I'm the one that cheated. When we both know for fact that he cheated earlier this year. That is something that we have dealt with but now we are dealing with an STD. The fact that I tested positive and he tested negative is leaving him to look at me as if I cheated and I haven't. What suggestions do you have for us to do now?

This is a relationship issue that you will have to work out with your boyfriend. We can't really suggest what to do because it's up to you.

There is one thing to note: both of you will need to be treated again, even if only you are showing up positive. Also, did you get retested after you got treated last time? If not, you may not have been properly cured from the last infection and this infection is stemming from this.

His treatment may have taken longer to clear that yours, meaning he could have reinfected you without knowing it.

We have not had sex since I tested positive and his results were negative. His doctor told him that he didn't need to be treated since he was negative. Everything that I've read says that he should be treated anyway......I don't know what to tell him. Should he go to a different doctor?

No knowledgeable doctor would ever tell a "negative" partner that they don't need to be treated. As you said, he should have been treated. I do still think he should be.

I'm sorry this is happening. Don't feel bad for him for this - he cheated and infected you, you don't owe him explanations.

Anonymous

I went to the er with symptoms of a yeast infection. Was shocked when the doc said I was positive for trich. Ive not been with anyone other than my bf in two years. I know my bf is faithful as well and his test was negative. Theres no way that this came from having sex. But it's pretty much ruined my relationship. I feel so sorry for anyone else that has gone though this

Anonymous

I actually went to my doctor because my boyfriend of 3years tested positive for it. I don't have any other sex partners and he said he doesn't but I went and got tested anyway. My results showed I tested negative for everything then a week later received a call from my doctor saying I did have it. I didn't have any symptoms but my doctor found traces of it in my urine after 1 week. My boyfriend definitely blamed me for it then switched his story around and said he had a uti...Very confusing for me because I've never been diagnosed with an std before. We use condoms but I'm still confused about it..It may not show up instantly in most cases but if the doctor finds something over a weeks time if he got tested they will notify him.

Anonymous

I'm a female I just found out I have trich, I been dating this guy for 18wks & we stop using condoms after the 7th week. He claim he didn't cheat on me but I never had this infection in my life, & yesterday I found out from a girl on a social site that she's been dating him so I'm lost confused I feel like my world is over

My questions is
Did he give this infection to me?
The only infection I ever had was an yeast please help me any advice is good advice at this point
I just feel like I should leave this guy alone for good

He may have Trich from months ago and just not know it. But I would insist on going with him to a doctor to get him tested as he may have infected you.

Go with your gut as to whether to stay or not.

Anonymous

I dated a guy for 5 years and we stopped using condoms. Low and behold, I got trich. I asked him about it and he came clean to cheating on me several times over the past year and he said that any of the 10+ girls could have given it to him. I still suggest using condoms unless you have a great guy. I thought I did but my world shattered while sitting in the health department.

Anonymous

I was just informed today from my doctor that I was positive for Trich. I was told at the end of last year that I have HPV. I am very scared because I have never had any STD's. My question is, could my doctor tell at the time she did my pap that I had trich? Could having trich at that time have caused my pap to be abnormal?

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis Guide