Q: 

Is it really ok that I am positive for Trichomoniasis and my boyfriend is negative??

By March 31, 2010 - 9:39am

I was diagnosed with this last week and was given 2 Grams of Flagyl antibiotic. I told my boyfriend and he went to his doctor (thats where he feels comfortable) and his doctor performed a urine and penial analysis. His test came back negative? So he was not treated. We both have not cheated and have been together a year this month.

I am going back to the doctors today at 3pm because I dont think the medicine is working for me because as of yesterday I am having a thick discharge. ((Sorry if its t.m.i))

When I called my doctor they said I may need to take the treatment 2 pills a day for 7 days.

What do you think??
Is it normal that my boyfriend is negative and not medicated but I am positive and have to be treated??

Anonymous

I am going through my worst nightmare since Friday. I am very phobic of STD's and have only been sexual with my husband since we got married in 2013. I've had several vaginal exams done between 2012-2014 because of a few fibroids that eventually led to a hysterectomy. I've never had any symptoms of any infections (UTI, Yeast, etc). I've been tested for STDs in 2014 and everything was negative. Again, I have never been with another man other than my husband since 2013. (Before him I ALWAYS made the gentleman wear a condom).
Because I had a hysterectomy I wasn't aware that I had to continue to have pelvic exams yearly. When I was informed that I did, I made an appointment and saw my dr to get it done. He asked if I wanted to have an STD screening done while he is examining me, at first I said no, there was no need since we are married and my last tests were negative and I haven't been with anyone but him. Then I said just go ahead, I know I'm negative, and maybe having the tests done will just be something I can say I did and put it behind me. Well, after the exam was done, he said everything looked great and my ovary was normal, he sent me off to complete the STD screening (blood work), and he will send in the vaginal swab test and have that tested as well. No big deal, whatever you gotta do I'm okay with. I'll see ya next year.
Well, Friday came and I get a call from the doctor himself telling me that all my results came back negative except for one. I have Trich. Not knowing what that was, he explained that it is a bacterial infection containing a parasite that you can only get with having unprotected sex with someone who got it from someone else during unprotected sex and that I had only just got it because I have no symptoms and they only found a trace of it. I said well, I only have sex with my husband and if what you're saying is true then he must have cheated on me. Being at work while this call came in was so hard to keep from losing it emotionally. On my lunch break I called my husband and asked him to pick up a prescription for me. He asked questions that I wasn't prepared to answer. But after grilling me I caved and told him I got an std and I am freaking out and don't know what to think. Immediately he got upset and said he never cheated on me and that I had to have cheated. He said he is going to make an appointment himself and get tested. I told him that we had sex 6 times over the course of two weeks and it's not going to change his results, he will test positive, because if I have it, the dr said he is going to test positive. He said he is going to get tested anyway.
He got tested on Mon and got his results today. I'm in shock, his results are negative!!! What in the world? How? I called my doctor this morning, and he said, it's possible you could've had a false positive result, we should have you come back in and test again, this has happened before and the second test has shown a negative result, why this happens is always a mystery. I said I can't, I already took the medication the day you called my prescription in. It's going to show negative now. He said well, then we will never know the answer, but you took the medication so you're safe from the infection now. What? That's his answer? What about my marriage? We are no longer the close and loving people we were prior to this test result. He thinks I am unfaithful and I think he is unfaithful (could he have taken meds knowing his affair had it, and now his results are negative?). How am I positive and he is negative and yet we have been having unprotected sex up until my test and the day after my test? Someone please help explain this to me. I am an emotional mess over this and about to lose my marriage over it.
Thank you

Hello Anon

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Condoms are highly effective at preventing STI's but they're not perfect; you may have had this in your system for long time and not known it.

Alternatively your husband may have had it and had it treated quietly and not mentioned it to you as you suggested.

Did you see doc.umentation of your husband's negative result? If not, look for it.

The problem with these kinds of infections is that one never knows really, how one got them. If you have been with two people and maybe he has been with two people, that's four people who all could have been with four other people and on and on. Finding Patient X is next to impossible.

As far as your marriage is concerned, throwing around accusations of cheating on both parts isn't going to help. You might want to consider scheduling an appointment for both of you with your doctor and have it explained properly.

Anonymous

I was dating my ex and he gave me trich we both got treated he apologized it has been 3 months since I got cured I broke up with him and got with a new guy who is my boyfriends now we had sex the condom broke and the doctor told me I had clymidia I told my boyfriend and he got tested and came back positive too we both got treated he explained he must of had it from the past and didn't know I gave he another chance since I also found out I was pregnant my bf is I'm jail now before we went we lived together and we never left eachother side I yelled at him and told me he gave me trich and I broke up with him he swears he didn't cheat and says he will show Me his results that he tested negative when he gets out of jail the doctor told Me that wen I had the clymida I didnt have trich is it possible that trich can. Become reactive in ur body even though u get treated ? Or is it safe to say he 100% cheated ? Or is clymida and trich two different test and the doctor is lieing ? Idk what to believe please help

Hello Anon

A doctor has no reason to lie.

You may not have been tested for all STI's when you first got tested.

I can't say what your boyfriend did but you are pregnant by him after being together a few months and he's in jail now and is possibly passing on diseases to you. You need to take stock of what you are doing in your life and be responsible - the cheating aspect is the least of your problems. What matters it that you are pregnant with STDs so you need to focus on your health and getting treatment and staying healthy.

You can discuss the cheating/STDs when he gets out of jail.

Anonymous

My boyfriend was positive for trichomonas but I was negative he says he haven't had sex with anybody else and I haven't had sex with nobody but him five months ago he just found out he had it 3 weeks ago

Hello Anon

Both of you may need to be treated regardless of test results. He certainly needs to be treated. You cannot have unprotected sex again until both of you are in the clear.

Hello Susan,

I found out my boyfriend cheated on me. We had unprotected sex a couple of days before i found out. I ran a urine test and swap and they found traces of tric. I went crazy on him and he went to get a urine test done and he was negative. Now he is accusing me of cheating. Could my test result be wrong? Because if i am positive he should be positivr too right?
Please advice. I feel so horrible. I never cheated and i have it and he doesnt just days after we both had unprotected sex.

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Did you see the results of the test? He may need to be tested again in a few weeks as the incubation date is up to 28-30 days for this parasite. Women show symptoms far more often than men. He could also have a false negative. Make sure you see the paperwork.

His cheating has been confirmed. Don't let him make you feel bad, you've done nothing wrong.

Anonymous

If he didn't specifically say he was exposed to trich it won't show on normal STD testing. If u have it so does he and u will get it back after your medicine is done. So have him go say he was exposed to trich and they'll give him 3 days of antibiotics.

Anonymous

If I could get a little advice from all you ladies I would grate protected because I don't know what to do..
Ill start off. Telling you that in not controlling but I can get a little upset when things are kept from me lol. Well anyway I have have been seeing my girlfriend for almost two years now but about two months ago I had gotten a new jog. My job requires me to be away from home and my family all week wail I stay in hotels.. Its not easy in the first place on me but every weekend I would come home and she would seem more and more distant or would simply start that fight... It didn't take long before I became convinced something was going on with here and some other .. But in time she assured me the was only talking to some guy friends regarding our relationship... It didn't make me feel any better for the time being but I never in a million years thought she would cheat on me and I take the utmost pride knowing that I could never do that to any women. And I know that she know that better then anyone. Well.. She was very firm that she had no sexual conduct with anyone I still felt violated fore the soul reason she felt it had to be. A secret and sneaking around "talking" with another man was only growing more distant with me. But I trust her and my pride was hurt but I trusted her.. Things started to become awesome again between us.. I was happy for the first time that I can remember, we were even attempting to have a child...

Well today she pulls up to my shop telling me we had to talk .. But not two then. I pried it out of her and she tells me she has the trick! And I had to have given it to her going nuts.. So with all that has happened I figured she had been cheating this whole time on me and I lost it with every bit of emotion I could possibly find within myself.. It want pretty not pretty at all... But all I seen was her trying to point the finger and make me this monster and I felt like it was just to make her feel better about cheating... I calmed down and was on the couch when she got back and I begged her to find a way to convince me that there is smoother explanation for all this.. She looked at me and said "I know that it was you" and wanted to argue... Instead I lost it said something's broke something's regret everything.. So its now six am I have been every place I could find on the internet that has anything to do with the trick and I have had some interesting stuff come to my attention. I don't know how much to believe but I can say I have Ben tested a couple times in the last two years for everythinI. I come out unscathed and I know that my girl was tested back in October and November.. We were both negative for everything... Will I didn't see here papers but I would think she would have had something I would have heard it.. Anyway I was not to kind because after the way everything has been looking and the feelings I was getting over.. That bomb she had dropped set me off like a rocked... She is gone.. I was curios of this one because I don't beleave that it shows in just some routine STD screen and in really trying to believe that we have had it from the beginning. .. Is it possible? In one of them guys that will let myself be walked on and spoil them written so I'm doing my best to find answer so I don't lose the women I love... I have had no symptom. I know that she has had discharge but I think she believed that it was completely normal from time to time... She hasn't told me a thing that's happening..... Sorry for the novel in hard up
I

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis Guide