Is it really ok that I am positive for Trichomoniasis and my boyfriend is negative??

By March 31, 2010 - 9:39am

I was diagnosed with this last week and was given 2 Grams of Flagyl antibiotic. I told my boyfriend and he went to his doctor (thats where he feels comfortable) and his doctor performed a urine and penial analysis. His test came back negative? So he was not treated. We both have not cheated and have been together a year this month.

I am going back to the doctors today at 3pm because I dont think the medicine is working for me because as of yesterday I am having a thick discharge. ((Sorry if its t.m.i))

When I called my doctor they said I may need to take the treatment 2 pills a day for 7 days.

What do you think??
Is it normal that my boyfriend is negative and not medicated but I am positive and have to be treated??

Anonymous

Don't know if anyone has something from this, but I'm in exactly the same position.. tomorrow we'll be together for a year.. the celebration is obviously completely ruined now we had to doubt each other's fidelity..
I thought I started having symptoms 7-8 months into the relationship, thought it was something that would clear up after a few weeks and I already had my regular gynecologist appointment scheduled so decided to wait for that..
Then the test came back positive for Trich.. so we were shocked, both of us can only be 100% certain of our own fidelity, but I trust him; he's just not the type to cheat..
So after not being able to sleep for two nights in a row, going through an entire year of relationship I think I figured it out.. I went to the doctor 2 months into the relationship because I thought I had a urinary infection, I've had them before and this felt like this or a fungal infection which my ex gave me regularly :/ so the doctor prescribed medication for that without further medical examination since my symptoms made sense.. The proclaimed urinal or fungal infections always cleared up after 1-2 days so I never even bothered to get the medication.. after my doctors appointment I only had vague symptoms that went away quickly up to October when the discharge started..
I am now convinced that it must have been trich all along.. so now I think this must be the reason why some people in monogamous relationships are experiencing symptoms after a few months or maybe even more.. it just got worse after a few months but actually started earlier..
I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, and hope she can confirm the possibility.. but this would explain a lot for some people..
I know this can come across as naive but I'm 99% convinced my boyfriend really is not the type.. if after a while I would find out that he is.. then I'm the fool obviously, but at the moment I really cannot believe that and this is the only explanation that makes sense..

Anonymous

Most people who catch trich are getting it from a cheating partner....if you know you did not cheat...then guess what....unless they had it before you had unprotected sex with them....so the best thing to do is stay protected and get tested before having unprotected sex, so that if you do decide to have unprotected sex in the future you will already know how you contracted it.

Anonymous

I just had this exact same incident. I was tested positive my boyfriend was tested negative. Yes I did see his test results and now he is looking at me as if I'm the one that cheated. When we both know for fact that he cheated earlier this year. That is something that we have dealt with but now we are dealing with an STD. The fact that I tested positive and he tested negative is leaving him to look at me as if I cheated and I haven't. What suggestions do you have for us to do now?

This is a relationship issue that you will have to work out with your boyfriend. We can't really suggest what to do because it's up to you.

There is one thing to note: both of you will need to be treated again, even if only you are showing up positive. Also, did you get retested after you got treated last time? If not, you may not have been properly cured from the last infection and this infection is stemming from this.

His treatment may have taken longer to clear that yours, meaning he could have reinfected you without knowing it.

We have not had sex since I tested positive and his results were negative. His doctor told him that he didn't need to be treated since he was negative. Everything that I've read says that he should be treated anyway......I don't know what to tell him. Should he go to a different doctor?

No knowledgeable doctor would ever tell a "negative" partner that they don't need to be treated. As you said, he should have been treated. I do still think he should be.

I'm sorry this is happening. Don't feel bad for him for this - he cheated and infected you, you don't owe him explanations.

Anonymous

I went to the er with symptoms of a yeast infection. Was shocked when the doc said I was positive for trich. Ive not been with anyone other than my bf in two years. I know my bf is faithful as well and his test was negative. Theres no way that this came from having sex. But it's pretty much ruined my relationship. I feel so sorry for anyone else that has gone though this

I'm going thru it now. It's an awful feeling

Anonymous

I actually went to my doctor because my boyfriend of 3years tested positive for it. I don't have any other sex partners and he said he doesn't but I went and got tested anyway. My results showed I tested negative for everything then a week later received a call from my doctor saying I did have it. I didn't have any symptoms but my doctor found traces of it in my urine after 1 week. My boyfriend definitely blamed me for it then switched his story around and said he had a uti...Very confusing for me because I've never been diagnosed with an std before. We use condoms but I'm still confused about it..It may not show up instantly in most cases but if the doctor finds something over a weeks time if he got tested they will notify him.

What medication did they end up giving your boyfriend?

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis Guide