Q: 

Is it really ok that I am positive for Trichomoniasis and my boyfriend is negative??

By March 31, 2010 - 9:39am

I was diagnosed with this last week and was given 2 Grams of Flagyl antibiotic. I told my boyfriend and he went to his doctor (thats where he feels comfortable) and his doctor performed a urine and penial analysis. His test came back negative? So he was not treated. We both have not cheated and have been together a year this month.

I am going back to the doctors today at 3pm because I dont think the medicine is working for me because as of yesterday I am having a thick discharge. ((Sorry if its t.m.i))

When I called my doctor they said I may need to take the treatment 2 pills a day for 7 days.

What do you think??
Is it normal that my boyfriend is negative and not medicated but I am positive and have to be treated??

Anonymous

I thought my fiance had an std in the past after our second year together but she just had a bad yeast infection and I tested negative for everything. She had my son the year before that and was negative for everything. we been only excusively having sex with each other and she gets a check up every year. Just yesterday she gets a call saying she has trich and now Im all kind of low down dogs even though I know I only have sex with her and my hand.I stopped at a clinic on the way to work and they said everything was negative. plus last month i did my yearly check up and nothing came back. Could she have had it this whole 7 yrs gave birth and everything and it not show up? Could it be a false positive and I had false negatives this whole time. She really dont have the time to be messing around and neither do I. We dont use damp towels thatsvent been in a pool in 5 been outside our house, we dont sit injacuzzis and we havent been in a pool for 5 yrs. Does anybody have answers because Shes going ballistic and Im trying to stay calm and not accuse her or react in a negative fashion being that I know i havent done anything and have tested negative for everything in the last seven years

I WOULD LIKE YOU AND EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT MEN WHO HAVE TRICH CAN NEVER BE DIAGNOSED. AND MY NURSE HAD TOLD ME THIS. AS I HAD SEX FOR THE FIRST TIME AFTER 3 MONTH'S WITH SOMEONE I HAD NEVER HAD SEX WITH AND THE VERY NEXT DAY I NOTICED GREEN DISCHARGE..I THEN WENT TO THE CLINIC THE NEXT DAY AND THE NURSE HAD TOLD ME I HAVE TRICH (AS SHE SAW UNDER THE MICROSCOPE THAT DAY). SHE TOLD ME EVEN IF A MAN HAS TRICH THEIR RESULTS WILL SHOW UP AS NEGATIVE, AND THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED TO SOMEONE I HAD SEX WITH FOR THE FIRST TIME..HE GOT TESTED AND CAME BACK NEGATIVE BUT I KNOW HE HAD IT AS I WAS CLEAR FROM ALL STI AS I GOT TESTED 3 MONTHS EARLIER..HE GAVE ME TRICH. THE NURSE HAD TOLD ME IT'S HARD FOR MEN TO GET TESTED AS IT'S DEEP INSIDE THE BLADDER... SO ALL YOU FEMALES THAT HAVE TRICH..YOUR MAN DEFO GAVE IT YOU...UNLESS YOU HAD SEX WITH ANOTHER MEN AND CHEATED...I CAN'T BELIEVE THE PERSON THAT HAD TESTED YOU DID NOT GIVE YOU THIS INFORMATION AS STRAIGHT AWAY MY NURSE HAD SAID I NEED TO TELL MY PARTNER AND HE WILL GET MEDS STRAIGHT AWAY ...AND HE DID EVEN ..THOUGH HIS RESULTS CAME UP NEGATIVE... SO I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU AGAIN THAT YOUR PARTNER DEFO GAVE YOU TRICH... BECAUSE A MAN CAN GIVE IT TO A MAN AND A WOMAN CAN GET IT FROM ANOTHER WOMEN AND ALSO A MAN WILL MOSTLY SHOW UP NEGATIVE ON THE TEST RESULTS. MY NURSE GAVE MY ALL THE INFORMATION AND I'M STILL SO APPALLED AS TO WHY THE NURSE DIDN'T TEST YOUR MALE PARTNER EVEN IF HE CAME BACK NEGATIVE. HE NEEDS TO BE TREATED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TRICH ANYMORE.

Anonymous

Hi I'm in the same boat I got a phone call from my doctor saying I'm positive for trich my boyfriend got a test his results were negative I haven't had sex with anyone but him please help me understand this I tried to kill this man because I thought he gave me a STD but it turns out I'm POSITIVE an he's NEGATIVE howww?

Anonymous

My husband was just diagnosed with Trich. Of course the first thing he asks me is if I cheated. WTH? We have been married for 22 years and I have never slept with anyone else. He swears he hasn't either. I just had a Pap smear less than a month ago and I have NO signs of Trich. How is this possible?

If your husband has it and you dont most likely he bc men only catch it from woman.

That isnt true... in the case that women get trich all the time... from men.

Anonymous

I just found out today I have Trich. I had a miscarriage about 14 weeks ago and I am now 7 weeks pregnant again. I have had the same partner for a year and a half. I was wondering if it was possible that I got this before the first baby or if he could have had it and not transmitted it until now? I am sure he has been faithful but because of this I am really upset.

Anonymous

Trich can happen without any cheating happening. It can occur after using a damp towel to clean yourself, using a rag or piece of clothing to clean yourself after intercourse and even after a miscarriage. Everyone assumes it happens due to cheating. That isn't always the case.

Anonymous

I am going through my worst nightmare since Friday. I am very phobic of STD's and have only been sexual with my husband since we got married in 2013. I've had several vaginal exams done between 2012-2014 because of a few fibroids that eventually led to a hysterectomy. I've never had any symptoms of any infections (UTI, Yeast, etc). I've been tested for STDs in 2014 and everything was negative. Again, I have never been with another man other than my husband since 2013. (Before him I ALWAYS made the gentleman wear a condom).
Because I had a hysterectomy I wasn't aware that I had to continue to have pelvic exams yearly. When I was informed that I did, I made an appointment and saw my dr to get it done. He asked if I wanted to have an STD screening done while he is examining me, at first I said no, there was no need since we are married and my last tests were negative and I haven't been with anyone but him. Then I said just go ahead, I know I'm negative, and maybe having the tests done will just be something I can say I did and put it behind me. Well, after the exam was done, he said everything looked great and my ovary was normal, he sent me off to complete the STD screening (blood work), and he will send in the vaginal swab test and have that tested as well. No big deal, whatever you gotta do I'm okay with. I'll see ya next year.
Well, Friday came and I get a call from the doctor himself telling me that all my results came back negative except for one. I have Trich. Not knowing what that was, he explained that it is a bacterial infection containing a parasite that you can only get with having unprotected sex with someone who got it from someone else during unprotected sex and that I had only just got it because I have no symptoms and they only found a trace of it. I said well, I only have sex with my husband and if what you're saying is true then he must have cheated on me. Being at work while this call came in was so hard to keep from losing it emotionally. On my lunch break I called my husband and asked him to pick up a prescription for me. He asked questions that I wasn't prepared to answer. But after grilling me I caved and told him I got an std and I am freaking out and don't know what to think. Immediately he got upset and said he never cheated on me and that I had to have cheated. He said he is going to make an appointment himself and get tested. I told him that we had sex 6 times over the course of two weeks and it's not going to change his results, he will test positive, because if I have it, the dr said he is going to test positive. He said he is going to get tested anyway.
He got tested on Mon and got his results today. I'm in shock, his results are negative!!! What in the world? How? I called my doctor this morning, and he said, it's possible you could've had a false positive result, we should have you come back in and test again, this has happened before and the second test has shown a negative result, why this happens is always a mystery. I said I can't, I already took the medication the day you called my prescription in. It's going to show negative now. He said well, then we will never know the answer, but you took the medication so you're safe from the infection now. What? That's his answer? What about my marriage? We are no longer the close and loving people we were prior to this test result. He thinks I am unfaithful and I think he is unfaithful (could he have taken meds knowing his affair had it, and now his results are negative?). How am I positive and he is negative and yet we have been having unprotected sex up until my test and the day after my test? Someone please help explain this to me. I am an emotional mess over this and about to lose my marriage over it.
Thank you

I know this is probably not going to mean much and you and your husband have figured things out. But... it is extremely possible that neither of you cheated and got trich. As a woman, you can get Trich from sharing towels with a friend, sharing bathing suits, even just using a damn towel to clean yourself after intercourse. It extremely possibly neither of you cheated and just got trich. I hope trich didn’t ruin your relationship. Best of luck!

Trichomoniasis

Trichomoniasis Guide