Is it true that an insurance company wont approve a tumor surgery until its a certain size>

By December 6, 2014 - 8:31pm

Hi cabinscape

Thanks for this question, it's an interesting one. 

I have never heard of such a policy - if there is one, it sounds like an awful one. 

I wonder if there is a such a policy, it's for benign tumors, versus malignant ones? I cannot see on what grounds they could do this, either way. 

You will have to call your insurance company to see. Will you let us know what they say?

Thank you for touching me today. I am so alone. Yes, according to my doctor, if he finds a tumor, it has to become a certain size before they can perform any surgery. If you are able to look at your records, they find one and make note of the size. They check it again, "not to worry" to see if it stays the same (which they note), are new (which they note), and the sizes...... I doubt my insurance company (who I believe, practice medicine without a license) would be able to tell me. Everyone has an opinion though. My mother was extremely sick they checked her all over and couldn't find anything. "Just a small tumor in her brain which they believed had always been there (it was so small) and some cancer in her lung, which they removed. She died from that "benign tumor" that spread so fast that they would never have been able to save her. They did operate, but by then, 3 months, it was entwined in her stem and all over her brain. Please everyone get a second opinion always !!! There is just so much a doctor can do anymore. Of course, there are unwritten rules for each individual. Take the people waiting for a transplant. You will find out what the worth of your life is. I am donating anything they want, to go to someone that doesn't make the list. :)

HERWriter Guide (reply to cabinescape)

Hi again cabinscape

I am so sorry you lost your mother this way.

Insurance companies are different to medical facilities. Insurance is a for-profit business. They do not practice medicine, they pay out for services rendered if the policy you have with them qualifies for this. Be very careful that you understand exactly what you are qualified for. 

I know it's a controversial subject - transplants.  It's supposed to depend on who is next in line, and supply and demand but like you, I agree that it also depends on how much money the patient has. 

Cabinscape, it's possible that your tumor is benign and  that you actually do not need surgery. Some medical issues adopt a wait-and-see attitude and this may be the case with you. I encourage you to talk with him further and to insist on getting the answers you need.