I've been experiencing an unfamiliar pain in my lower abdomen. What could be causing it?

By September 29, 2010 - 11:55am

The pain began a couple of days ago but still hasn't gone away. It occurs on my lower abdomen, a little to the right side. It hurts like a bad cramp, and when I press down on it it hurts even more. My period is over 2 weeks late this month. However, I have not had unsafe sex. Just to make sure, I took a pregnancy test and the results were negative. Also, I've been having to urinate more than usual. More often that not, when I sit down to urinate hardly anything comes out, although the sensation still remains a little. Should I be concerned about this, or might it be just be menstruation symptoms?

Hi theskyisyours,
Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. A woman's cycle can run anywhere from 21-45 days. When you have gone 90 days without a period, it's time to schedule a visit with a doctor to find out what's going on. But in your case, since you are having abdominal pain, it could be your period, but also could be something else. Do you have any burning sensation with urination at all? Any other symptoms you can think of? If you are really concerned, a call to your doctor to ask the nurse what she thinks would not be unheard of.
Good luck and let us know what you find out, or if you end up getting your period.
Here's some information on abdominal pain to help you advocate for yourself:

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines