I've been getting severe headaches from the air conditioner blowing on me. Is this common?

While I'm at work all day the air conditioner vent blows directly on me and causes bad headaches and migraines. No one else in the office seems to be bothered. And I don't experience headaches during the months that the AC isn't running as much. Is this unusual? Should I see the doctor?

Hello John,

There are several probable correlations between the air conditioner and your headaches.

1) The cold causes blood vessels to contract.
2) dehydration from the dry air
3) The air conditioner may be circulating stale air, chemicals, or other allergens from a ventilation system that hasn't been cleaned out properly.
4) The noise the air conditioner is producing may be sending out a frequency you are unable to handle.
5)The intense temperature extremes can trigger a migraine. Inside at work, you experience a cool temperature around 60 degrees and then you drive home in your car that has been baking in the sun all day. The sudden shock can be enough to cause a migraine.

If the pain becomes unbearable and negatively impacts your work performance, consider talking with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Headache Guide