I've had a really heavy period for 2 weeks now, why would that happen?

My period is normally 3 days. I have an iud does that affect it?

I have the Mirena IUD and I've had it since December 2012. So its definitely not new. I was told it lasts for 5 years.

Yes, the Mirena can work up to 5 years. 

I think it's a good idea to see your doctor. Are you still bleeding? If so, make an appointment. 

Is your IUD new? Have you just started using it? Is it a hormonal or a copper IUD?

A copper IUD can actually increase bleeding, whereas a hormonal IUD can really decrease bleeding or even stop periods altogether! 

If you can give us more information, we can help you further. We hope to hear back from you-