Just want to be sure of something

By November 10, 2011 - 6:54pm

Hi, I have posted a topic called "could I be at risk, should I be concerned" and I want to ask you something. Such thing I brought up here I'm defnitely going to mention it to my doctor which I'm going to see him next month.

I just want to be sure of something which is such thing I explained here does it sound right saying it this way "she had hernia surgery and removed polyp/cyst then later on I heard it was cancer which was removed." Should I use to the word polyp or cyst when I'm going to say such thing to my doctor? I don't know which word sounds right when I explain it. Is it correct that cyst is in the hernia then later on found out it was cancer?

I just want to know I'm saying it the right way. Please let me know.

Hi Melissa6666,

Glad I was able to help!

Thanks for your reply. What daisy nodal said made sense so I know what to say to my doctor. Thank you both.

Hi Melissa

In addition to Daisy's great advice, we cannot answer this question because we have no idea of your mother's cancer or how it was found or what kind of lump was removed. That is something you need to talk to your mother about but if she doesn't want to talk to you about it, say to your doctor what your mother has said to you, even if it doesn't make that much sense to you. Your doctor will likely understand what you are trying to say.

But we have no idea at all about your mom's heath history so it's unrealistic to ask us how to word your situation and your family history to your doctor.

You are not a nurse or doctor and your doctor will not expect you to know all the details of what your family history is - in terms of using the right words.

I know that you worry a lot about exactly what to say to our doctor but what you need to do is talk like a regular patient/person and use the words and expressions that have been told to you by your mom - you don't have to be as exact as you think you need to be, I think you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself!

I'm sorry we cannot answer this question for you but we literally don't have the information needed to help you.

Good luck with your appointment, you will do fine!

Hi Melissa6666,

Welcome back to EmpowHER!  Depending on what you would like to speak to you doctor about. Polyps are found in the intestines and a cyst could be, breast or ovarian cyst. And Hernias, are developed in the abdomen.

Hope this helps,