knee replacement surgery

By Anonymous January 20, 2010 - 10:14am

I had half of a knee replacement and it still hurts over a year later - what do I do?

Dear Anon

Thank you so much for your question and I'm sorry you're still in pain a year after your operation.

Knee replacements can take some time to recover from and become pain free but a year is excessive. I have a few questions for you, as we need more information before we can guide you towards answers and a resolution.

- Do you have other health problems aside from a bad knee?
- Are you over-weight?
- Do you take part in heavy lifting or high impact sports?
- Did you adhere to the program assigned to you, including rest and physical therapy?
- Have you spoken to you doctor about your pain?

The first six weeks demand a lot of rest when one has a knee replacement but after that the patient should be coming more and more comfortable and within a few months should be relatively pain free. If after a year you're still in pain, something may be wrong with the parts used, you may need more therapy, you may be overdoing things or somehow did not follow your after-care plan, despite your best intentions.

In the meantime, check out our Knee Replacement page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/knee-replacement

Let me know what you think and answering some of my questions will help a lot! I look forward to hearing more from you!

Thank you so much for your quick and informative help. You are pretty much quoting my doctor and I needed to hear that or something different. He wants to go in and look at what he did. Yes; I am overweight and I know that can be hard on my knees. I have found if I do my knee exercises twice a day it helps the pain go away. I have found stretches are the most effective and I have less pain with the more of these I do. The knee is pretty much my only health concern and I do NOT do heavy lifting.