Lap Band Surgery

By June 22, 2011 - 10:50am

I have been fat since I was 11. I have lost weight and gained weight since then. I am so tired of it. Now that I'm 59 I want to feel good. Do you think Lap Band surgery would help me?

Thankyou Susan, this has been very helpful. How do I get help in Why I eat too much?

HERWriter Guide (reply to restfulrefuge)

Hi again!

A good bariatric surgeon will have a disordered eating expert to help you with this.

If not, find a nutritionist who is also trained in helping people with an eating disorder (whether it's over-eating, binge-eating, under-eating etc...) who can help you get to the root of your own eating disorder. The doctor or his staff will be able to refer you to someone who specializes in this - but hopefully it will be included in your "package".

Good luck to you and please keep us updated!

Hi restfulrefuge

You may be a great candidate for a lap band but you will need a very thorough physical/medical evaluation before a doctor will perform this surgery on you and it's likely you'll also need a lot of emotional and nutritional counseling too.

People know why they are fat - they eat too much. What they don't know is WHY they eat too much and when that is not addressed, they will simply "eat through" the band and gain all the weight back.

Check out our bariatric and lapband information page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/bariatric-surgery

And you will need to see a doctor to start this process. Your primary care doctor will probably refer you to a specialist.

Good luck to you!