Laproscopic surgery - Ovarian Drilling

Hi Susan,

Believe I complicated the question.
While we went to another Gyn for a opinion on trying D&C, she told us D&C is not required. And the Gyn suggested to go for 'Laproscopic Surgery' of Cystic ovaries to remove the water bubbles via 'Ovarian Drilling'.

Please advice your valuable opinion on the same.

Appreciate your timely reponses.

Hi Jeyaganesan

I helped you on this issue recently and hope you were able to take a look at my reply:

In this reply I have also talked about the benefits and risks.

With regard to having a D&C done laproscopically, it's generally faster, with little scarring and obviously is far less invasive. Laproscopic methods are generally preferred by doctors and patients. I've had this procedure done myself (for the removal of my appendix) and definitely preferred it over regular surgery.

Best of health to your wife as she makes her decisions. Just make sure both of you talk to her doctor about the benefits and risks of both options.

Hi Jay

Good to hear from you again and you made a smart move by getting a second opinion!

Ovarian drilling, according to Mayo Clinic, can be described as :
"... a surgical treatment that can trigger ovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Electrocautery or a laser is used to destroy parts of the ovaries.

This surgery is not commonly used. But it can be an option for women who are still not ovulating after losing weight and trying fertility medicines.

Ovarian drilling is usually done through a small incision (laparoscopy), with general anesthesia. The surgeon makes a small cut (incision) in the abdomen at the belly button. The surgeon then places a tube to inflate the abdomen with a small amount of carbon dioxide gas so that he or she can insert the viewing instrument (laparoscope) without damage to the internal organs. The surgeon looks through the laparoscope at the internal organs. Surgical instruments may be inserted through the same incision or other small incisions in the pelvic area.

Because the incisions are so small, laparoscopy is often called "Band-Aid surgery."

Jay - there are no decent studies out there to validate success rates, therefore it's unknown as to whether this is a good choice in terms of treatment for PCOS. You'll need to check with that doctor about why she suggested this (it's also not a commonly done procedure) so I'm interested to know why, too). Of course, this doesn't mean it WON'T work but there is not a lot of information about this.

Do you know why she wants to do this, as opposed to the other treatments?

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines