Large Ovarian Cyst

By November 8, 2015 - 6:11pm

I am 23 years old and i just found out that i have a 5 cm. cyst on my right ovary. I'm following up with a gynecologist this week, but I was wondering if I should be worried about the size of it. If it's this large, does that mean it has a higher chance of being cancerous? The E.R Dr. told me it has been there since Feb. of this year. Im just really worried because problems like that do run in my family.

Well, I haven't followed up with a gynecologist yet, I was just seen in the E.R and honestly he didn't really tell me anything about it, just that I need to follow up with someone. I am just worried about the size and it rupturing.

Hi MamaHuck1215

Ovarian cysts come in all shapes and sizes. An ovarian cyst is caused when fluid builds up on your ovary. The National Institutes of Health website states, ʺthis occurs when a follicle breaks open and does not release an egg (during ovulation).ʺ

An ovarian cyst can grow on the ovary or in the ovary. They can range in shape from the size of a plum to a grapefruit. Women generally develop ovarian cysts during their childbearing years. It is uncommon, but not impossible, for a woman to develop a cyst during menopause. Most ovarian cysts are noncancerous.

There are several types of ovarian cysts. One type of cyst is called the corpus luteum cyst. The other and most common type of ovarian cyst is called a follicular cyst. The corpus luteum cyst contains a trace amount of blood and the follicular cyst contains fluid. If you do not ovulate, you cannot develop follicular cysts.

You may be prescribed birth control bills to stop ovulation and possible reduce the size of your cyst. If you develop a cyst during your menopause days, your doctor may want to remove the cyst surgically. Depending on the size of the cyst, you may need with a laparoscopy or a laparotomy.

What has your doctor said about treatment of your cyst?

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide