Q: 

Late period

By Anonymous December 16, 2016 - 9:21am

My periods are very irregular. However this is the longest cycle I'm having in 4 months. Last month my period came on day 38. The month before it came on day 30. My cycles have been as long as 47 + days this year, but hasn't been this long in a while. At the minute I am on the 39th day of my cycle and my period has still not arrived. Last week I got lots of zits on my face and felt quite hormonal so I thought that it should have arrived by now. Last week I also experienced medium to light brown coloured sticky discharge which was only light and was only there when I wiped or only Occasionally seen in my underwear. I am worried that this could be a sign of pregnancy.

I have not had sex but I have done the following:
-been fingered with a hand that previously touched semen but the hand was DRY
-dry humped with 2 layers with the clothing getting slightly damp
-had a cloth with semen on thrown on my lap while I was wearing clothes.
-touched a tissue and put it in my underwear after i had touched sperm. My hands were dry.
-spooned my Bf with me naked and him clothed.
-been given oral sex

Guide

Welcome to EmpowHER. Thank you for reaching out to our community with your concern about irregular menstrual cycles and late period.

Begin by taking a home pregnancy test. You want to rule out the chance for pregnancy during each of these sexual activities. For the most accurate result, test in the morning. Use the urine when you first wake up and use the bathroom.

Next, schedule an appointment with a gynecologist. You want to get to the root cause of an irregular menstrual cycle. The menstrual cycle is regulated by a precise balance of hormones. Any upset will cause irregularities.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank you. Do any of these activities cause a risk of pregnancy?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There is a risk for becoming pregnant whenever semen is in direct contact with your vagina, principally during unprotected vaginal intercourse. The risk exists if this happens five days before you ovulate or on the day you ovulate.

No risk with oral sex and no risk with dry humping.

Regards,

Thank you!! Could you give an example of non direct contact with semen? What do you mean by direct contact? Also, does dry sperm coming in contact with a vagina make a risk of pregnancy? What is the likelihood of getting pregnant if sperm isn't deposited INSIDE the vagina but only on the outside? Also how can I be sure to carry out an accurate pregnancy test if I have a cycle that is irregular and between 35-47 days ? (I visited my doctor about my irregular period and he said it is normal for me)

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Vaginal intercourse is an example of direct contact.

If semen is ejaculated on the pubic area, there is a chance sperm can swim into the body and up into the vagina.

Dry semen contains dead sperm.

Levels of hCG can be detected in urine about 12 to 14 days following conception. To test for pregnancy, wait at least two weeks following unprotected sex.

Regards,