late period negative hpt.

By September 12, 2009 - 2:28pm

It has been 35 days since my last first day period. I have taken pregnancy tests which are negative. I have white discharge, breasts don't really hurt, nipples burn at times. Have been pregnant before. We have been trying. But last month August my period came early 24 days between periods. I usually have a 28 day cycle, and never late. Wondering if I could still be pregnant and when will the hp test show positive.

well today on day 36 my cycle started again so we will try again next month...

Dear Snoopydog2

To answer your question, yes you can be pregnant and it not show up on a home pregnancy test. A false negative is more common that a false positive. False positives can happen but they are rare. Did you take a traditional test or a digital?

The pregnancy hormone (hCG) is usually strong enough a day (or two) before your period to let you know if you are pregnant or not but this is the case for most women - not all. Some women don't have strong enough levels for a month or more.

Since you are a week late now you might want to call your doctor's office on Monday and schedule a lab visit. A blood test with confirm the results within a day or so.

The discharge could mean anything - it's often a sign of ovulation but some women have it all the time - including pregnancy. Breast or nipple pain/sensations can mean PMS or pregnancy - very frustrating when trying to gauge if you are pregnant or not!

But if you're never late, I'd go ahead and schedule a blood test, especially since you are trying to conceive. I hope you get a big fat positive!

Will you update us?