Late period, negative HPTs

By Anonymous April 2, 2010 - 9:06pm

Hi, I have a my-period-is-late question! Historically, my cycle is 23-28 days, and I'm now on day 35. I took an HPT on day 32 and another one today. Both showed negative. I have NO other pregnancy signs (fatigue, breast soreness, nausea...), so I'm really wondering what could be going on. Is it possible to just skip a period? I try to chart all my cycle details regularly, so the potential causes of this lateness are a bit worrisome to me. Thanks for any help you can provide!

I certainly will! Thanks again for all the answers. One last question: if I do get my period soon (or even not soon), should I still see my doctor? Or should I just keep charting as usual and accept that I either skipped a period or am starting to have longer cycles?

Since this is a once off thing, I would suggest a big old happy dance when you get your period and leave it at that!

If it becomes a recurring issue, then a doctor visit might be a good idea.

Susan, thanks for the preliminary info!

My entire cycle, from day 1 of menstruation to the day before menstruation, is 23-28 days (most often 24-25 days).

My husband and I are sexually active and have used NFP for over a year (taking temperature every morning at same time, plus monitoring cervical mucus, and cervix soft/firm/open/closed signs). We usually abstain completely during my fertile period, although it fell during our second honeymoon this cycle, so we used condoms this time (which we've done in the past on occasion).

I'm 28 and have no known health conditions that might interfere. I had a bout of thyroiditis last year, but my cycle stayed regular through that. I don't take any meds except Benadryl.

Thanks again for your help! Good to know that it might just be an unknown. :)

Good to see you really know your body and use a back up (sex is a must on a second honeymoon!) when needed.

I do want to remind you that pregnancy hormone levels can be very low and not detected at first. Usually, they are very high and get significantly higher every day in the first few weeks of pregnancy but I do want to let you know that some women have low levels throughout their pregnancies. Therefore there is a very low risk that you could be pregnant and it's not being picked up.

But since you used condoms, I think you'll be letting us know you have your period very, very soon! Your risks are about as low as you can get without being abstinent.

Will you please let us know an update when you know? A lot of our readers have similar questions and posts like this can really help them.

Our best to you!

Hi Anon - thanks for your question!

I have a quick one back to you - when you say your period is on a 23-28 day cycle, does this mean it lasts from day 23 to day 28 or it begins anytime from day 23 to day 28? I'm just trying to gauge how regular you are.

If your HPTs are taken correctly, then it would not appear that you're pregnant, although a blood test is also an option, just to be sure.

It is indeed possible to skip a period for unknown reasons! It may be along in about 2.5 weeks like nothing happened, or you could get it tomorrow (a bit frustrating, I know).

Are you sexually active? What kind of birth control so you use? Any health conditions or medications that may interfere with your cycle?

And also - can you tell us your age?