Late period, spotting

By Anonymous December 20, 2009 - 10:16pm

I'm a 17 year old who isn't sexually active, and I'm 9 months late on my period.
It was during middle school that my period became irregular, and I started to get use to the extended periods of time when I was without my monthly suprise.
A doctor told me that stress an whatnot is what's probably cotributing to the missed periods, and told me I should consider birth control to help even me out, though I declinced.

Now, as I said, I'm 9 months late, which isn't exatly what's concerning me (again, over the years, I became used to this). What I'm wondering/worrying about is this: I'm not having a period, but when I wipe, there is either "old" brown blood or bright red blood. This has been going on for a couple weeks now, and at first it wasn't constant, but it's starting to be an every day thing.

There is no blood really in the toliet and there isn't any in my underwear; there's only blood when I wipe.

I'm going to be trying to schedule an appointment with a doctor as soon as I can, but things have been hetic lately, and it's hard to find the time.
I'm just wondering what this could be and any ideas or suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Thank you so much for your time.

Welcome to EmpowHER! And thank you so much for your question.

I wonder if you need to have your hormone levels tested. Hormones are what regulate our cycles, and yours may be low. Since your periods are infrequent at best, and now you're having a bit of breakthrough spotting, it may be that your hormones are struggling to regulate themselves. Do make a doctor's appointment with an ob/gyn and ask this question, OK?

Here's a page from Dr. Spock that talks about this:

I know this is a very busy time of year, but will you promise us you'll make an appointment? And that you'll come back and update us?