Late period...stress or pregnancy?

By Anonymous March 15, 2010 - 10:09am

My boyfriend and I had sex on February 19. We used a spermicidal condom, and he didn't even finish inside me because we were trying to take every precaution we could think of so that I wouldn't get pregnant. As he was taking the condom off, some ejaculate spilled onto his hand and onto the floor. He cleaned it all up with a clorox wipe, including what had gotten onto his hand. About a half an hour later, he fingered me. I have read on various websites that sperm must have a certain kind of environment in which to live, and that they would die if exposed to chemicals such as those in the clorox wipes. I have also read that sperm die when they come into contact with air and dry out, but I have read so many different time ranges for this; anywhere from a couple seconds to 4 hours.

My concern is that I somehow got pregnant when he touched me, because it's now been 34 days since the start of my last period. I've had my period for 7 years now and it's never been regular, so I don't know the exact date it should have started - just last week sometime. For the past year or so, I've been keeping track and my cycles have ranged anywhere from 26 to 34 days, with the average being around 30 or 31 days. My last period started on February 10, which would have been 9 days before we had sex, so I don't think I should have been ovulating at that time.

My boyfriend keeps telling me that the chances of me being pregnant are very slim, and that I'm making it late by stressing myself out and worrying so much about being pregnant. I am a worrier by nature and stress about things all the time, but I have never missed a period. I plan on taking a test if I still haven't gotten it by this weekend, but anything you could tell me about what you think the chances of me being pregnant are would help put my mind at ease.

Unfortunately, all we can tell you is what your boyfriend told you; your chances are slim. In fact, it's highly unlikely you are pregnant, based on the circumstances you described to us. Nothing is impossible however, and we have to advise that since we cannot give any kind of odds or percentages on any risk of pregnancy.

If you are already a week late, why wait another five days to test? You are more than ready to take a test right now and it'll have an answer for you in two short minutes!

Will you update us when you take the test?

I actually got my period today. Guess it was just late because of stress.

(reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for updating us! Great news!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

This is the original poster again. I updated saying I got my period, and I'm pretty sure I did, but it isn't quite the same as usual and now I'm worried it's something else. This is the 5th day I've been bleeding, but it hasn't been bright red at all like it usually is - it's been mostly brown, with maybe just a hint of red. It's also not been quite as heavy as usual, though it has been continuous for the whole 5 days. I was worried it might be spotting or implantation bleeding, but after researching those, it sounds as if they are very, very light, like literally just a spot. What I've been having is definitely heavier than that, but I'm usually such a heavy bleeder that this just feels werid. I know that brown blood is "old" blood, and my period usually starts and ends brown, but I can't remember it ever having been brown the whole time before. I was just wondering if this could be due to the fact that my period was a little later (35 day cycle) this past time, and the blood would have been in me longer? Are mostly-brown periods common?

(reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your question. Your period sounds normal, even if it is unusual for you. Mostly brown, with some red, is fine for a menstrual period. The time to be concerned about your period is:
- Bleeding for more than 7 days
- Excessive bleeding, where you soak more than one pad or tampon every hour