late start birth control pill

By May 28, 2010 - 11:07am

I'm a sunday starter.. but at the beginning of this pack I started on monday because I did not get my new pack in time as my pharmacy is closed on sundays. On monday I took sunday's pill and monday's pill. Then I took tuesday's pill and later that night I had sex with my boyfriend without a condom. Is there a chance that I am pregnant? I'm really worried.

I've only had the discharge I normally have at any other time of the month.

Yesterday ended my placebo pill week...I did not have any bleeding. I did however have light brown discharge on Tuesday (the day my period usually starts). What does this mean...?

(reply to Kgirl57)

Light brown discharge could be spotting, or it could be "breakthrough bleeding" as Susan said above. None of this is harmful.

You said this occurred Tuesday (about 5 days ago), and I'm wondering if you've had any other bleeding/discharge/spotting since then?

(reply to Alison Beaver)

No, I understand that. Thank you.. So what you're saying is that my chances of being pregnant are very low?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Kgirl57)

Yes, I think your liklihood of being pregnant is very low - but not eliminated. From what you have said, I think you'll be getting your period soon! Let us know when it happens!

By that I mean the odds of ovulation would be very low since it was just one pill missed (and then made up) and we ovulate mid-cycle. Of course we don't ovulate when we're on the Pill (and taking it correctly) but this is why we have different rules and regs for making up pills depending on where we are in our cycle when we miss them. Even though we're on the Pill, we still have a cycle (so to speak).

I hope that didn't confuse you further!

And, could you please explain to me why its good that it happened at the beginning of my cycle?? I'm not sure I understand..

Yes, I will. Actually I always take every pill at the same time every day. This is the only time I've had a slip up. I usually pick up my new pack on the Saturday before but that weekend I was busy and forgot. I have not had any breakthrough bleeding just yet.

Hi Kgirl57

Thanks for your question! If you have taken every single pill since then as instructed, then you should be ok but please put a call into your doctor to make sure - or you can always call the 1-800 number on your pill pack to ask (often it's better to contact the manufacturer's helpline). It's also good that this happened right in the beginning of your cycle.

You should be getting your breakthrough bleeding in a week, you'll probably have to wait and see. We can't offer any guarantees of course but I think you'll have good news for us soon. Will you keep us posted?