Leg giving out

By November 13, 2014 - 1:00pm

I am 59 years old and have been told that I have mild arthritis in my right hip. Frequently, my right leg just gives out in the groin area and is extremely painful when it happens. Fortunately I'm near something that I can grab a hold of when this happens, otherwise I'd be on the floor. Is this related to my hip - even though I have mild arthritis? I'd appreciate some answers please. Thanks.

Hi season and thanks for bringing your concerns to EmpowHER.

You are no doubt aware that arthritis is  inflammation of one or more of your joints. The main symptoms are joint pain and stiffness, and they typically worsen with age.

It is common for those with hip arthritis to experience pain in the groin, thigh or buttock. The pain is generally worse with weight bearing activities such as walking or standing. 

You may find it helpful to focus on ways to reduce the inflammation. Your doctor can assist with medications and there are also some natural solutions suggested in this article written for the EmpowHER community: 5 Tips to Helping Arthritis Naturally.

If the problem worsens you may want to take some preventive measures around your home such as ensuring there are grab bars in the bathroom area in case you start to fall and need assistance. Your doctor may also be able to provide additional assistance.

Hope this helps,

Arthritis Guide