Leukemia or just an infection?

By June 13, 2016 - 4:36pm

My most recent labs show an immature granulocyte count of 5% (normal range 0-4%). My overall abc are within normal limits at 8.5 Is this cause for concern? My Neutrophils were slightly hight and Lymphocytes slightly low? What additional testing should I ask my dr. for. What would someones results be if it showed Leukemia?

Current Symptoms: hot flashes mainly at night, itchy skin, insomnia, fatigue, muscle weakness. etc.

Hello Beth76,
First, you conform your disease by the doctor.
Leukemia is a type of cancer that begin in the bone marrow, treatment options for chronic leukemia vary greatly, depending on the person's age, the disease caused.
Some common symptom of leukemia are:
1. Weight loss
2. Pain in bone
3. Fever
4. Bleeding
5. Feeling tired

Leukemia treatment options are:
1. Chemotherapy
2. Radiation therapy
3. Targeted therapy
4. Bone marrow transplant

Hi Beth76

Your doctor should be able to confirm your diagnosis for you by testing. Has he/she not been able to do this?

Since your immature granulocyte count of 5% (normal range 0-4%) is far highter than average you will need further testing. I am not an oncologist so your doctor should be advising you of further testing required rather than you having to advise him/her.

There are different kinds of leukemia - Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia; Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Symptoms. Often times a sample of bone marrow is used as a diagnostic tool.

Your symptoms do match many of those seen in leukemia but you will need a proper diagnosis.

Read more here on this article, I think it will help you a lot: http://www.empowher.com/leukemias/content/leukemia-advocacy-sheet-0

Leukemia Guide