the life expectancy of behcets

By March 29, 2010 - 1:45pm

i would like to know the stage of behcets, cause my friend has had it for 14 years

Anonymous

Hi. I have Behçet's disease and was diagnosed almost two years ago, but have had it for almost 5 years now. I am 18 years old and was wondering if anyone knew of any behcets specialists around the Middle East (east coast) area of the United States. I've seen upwards of 25 doctors and have only had one who has had a patient who has this disease. I was also wondering if there was more websites to find information specifically for this disease or if there was any support groups (online). Thanks.

I've had it for years. One particular bad flare up hospitalized me for 2 weeks. I went to every Dr around and none of them knew what to do with me (and like you, these Dr’s did not have other Bechet’s patients either). They put me on all sorts of prescriptions etc and nothing helped.
I got mine 99% under control by going to an allergy Dr and finding out exactly what I was allergic to an/or even mildly allergic to and avoiding these things like the plague. I was unknowingly allergic to several food items which constantly caused flare ups.
Controlling what I ate changed my life with Bechet’s. I strongly urge you to go see an allergy dr. The allergy doc will probably tell you that you are wacko and will tell you it wont help, but with Bechet’s, unfortunately you have to often fight an uphill battle with the dr’s who don’t know anything about it.
Avoiding things I’m mildly allergic to has been the ONLY thing that worked for me after years of Dr’s and all sorts of crazy scary prescription drugs. Have the allergy folks test you for everything they have.
It might work, it might not - I can just tell you it's worth a shot. Several people have managed theirs thsi way.

Also, when you have an outbreak – soak a Q-tip in tequila and put it directly on the ulcer 2-3 times per day. It hurts like nothing else, but it shortens the ulcers stay from 2 weeks down to a few days.

There are several conferences through the year on Bechet’s.
This site usually posts events in the US.

http://www.behcets.com/site/c.8oIJJRPsGcISF/b.9279471/k.C8CA/Events.htm

Thank you for this simple conversation on something I just realized last night I might have. Everything is starting to make sense as I put the pieces together. I have a doctor's appointment Monday but I am starting to think it's with the wrong kind of doctor. Thank you again.

Anonymous

foods effect bechets sufferers.
keep food diary.
remember.
food has an effect while still in the gut,
so factor in the time befor it is expelled.
keep body less acid.
also.
vary foods from day to day,
eating the same food for days.
seems to build resistance to it.
booze causes havoc..shame.
lets all keep diaries

Anonymous

my son has been afflicted with this horrible disease for about 10 or more years now. he has scars all over his body from the pus filled sores that pop up and take forever to dry up to a scab .his fingers are bad , mostly his knuckles , get knocked off and new sores pop up on top of the old ones , his face , belly, and his eyes get really blood shot ,sometimes lasting weeks. I am getting worried about his mental status and brain functions. he is so stiff and in extreme pain. it is a pattern of his joints, all of them hurt, but as an example his lower limbs mostly below his knees, will start hurting worse and so fast get so inflamed it looks like he has been on fire and he can't bear to put his feet on the ground. Please tell me where people can go to get the help they need. the doctors around here doesn't either care or don't know much about this disease. any information will be appreciated. he is getting worse and i'm afraid for him.

Please get your son to NYC to see Dr. Yusuf Yazici with NYU Langone. He is considered as the leading specialist and runs a Behcet's clinic. I have taken my daughter three times and he helped her a lot!

Hi Regina - Behcet’s disease is a rare, chronic disorder involving inflammation of blood vessels throughout the body. It is marked by recurrent oral and genital ulcers and eye inflammation. Symptoms of Behcet’s disease can vary from mild to very severe. Symptoms tend to appear, heal, and then recur (referred to as a flare) frequently over months or years.

You can learn more about Behcet’s disease from the EmpowHER reference page:
http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/behcets-disease

You can learn more about how to support your friend from the American Behcet's Disease Association: http://www.behcets.com/

It's not possible for us to tell you your friend's life expectancy. These resources will help you better understand the condition, what your friend is experiencing, and how you can provide support. Take care, Pat

Behcet's Disease