Lightheaded, Black vision & Dizzy when standing in 16 year old?

By November 23, 2014 - 8:48pm

Hi; I'm Emma Claire; 16 years old, and for the past 6 months or more have been dizzy, lightheaded and my vision goes black when I stand up. It goes away in a few seconds, but when it goes away, my heart starts beating really fast. I have been tracking it for the past two weeks now and it occurs at least twice a day; with the max being 5 times a day. I am 5 foot 7 and 110 pounds and do competitive cheer so I'm always active. I have also never had my period if that makes any difference/or is of any help. Does anyone know why this could be happening? Thank you so much in advance because I'm kind of worried!
Emma Claire

Hi Emma

You need to see a medical professional about this. You could be very anemic, causing a lightheaded feeling and feeling faint. You could have another issue that you are unaware of and need testing. 

You are certainly on the thinner side at 5' 7" and 110 pounds. You would be considered underweight. That in itself may not be a problem but are you eating enough?  Are you over-exercising? 

It's also a bit concerning that you have never had a period but all females are different and develop at different times. But 16 is definitely on the later side and could be due to being under weight or over-exercising. 

I don't think you should wait any longer - please see a doctor and explain your symptoms and let her know that you are not yet getting your period. It may be nothing serious at all but you do need an evaluation. 

Will you keep us posted?