a little shaky

By Anonymous February 22, 2016 - 11:33pm

Hi doctor , I keep having this thought that I might be pregnant. Thing is I had unprotected sex with my bf and after an hour he bought me one pack of postinor 2 and one of postinor 1. So I used the postinor 2 as said...1 Immediately and 1 after 12 hours. I then continued with the postinor 1 ,12 hours after taking the last pill of postinor 2 and continued with the last one 12 hours later... Please is this going to be effective or I could still get pregnant.

You're not alone, a lot of our readers think they are pregnant when they are not.

There was no need to take a double dose of P2 - you may find that you bleed irregularly for the next week or so but not all women do. It is not a good idea to do that.

P2 is about 95% effective when taken within 24 hours which is what you did so your risk is about 5% or less.

You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-contraceptive-pills

Make sure in future that you never have unprotected sex. It's your body and you need to protect it, no matter what! It's not good to take emergency contraception unless it's a real emergency as it can cause the menstrual cycle to become irregular and can have some unkind side effects. Insist in condoms.