Q: 

Living with an ankle fusion and subtalar fusion--Any advice?

By March 30, 2010 - 9:51pm

In January of 2009, I fell from a ladder and suffered a catastrophic open-bone fracture of my talus. Not only was the talus shattered, but I immediately developed a serious infection and subsequent deep wound. 9 surgeries, 8 months of IV antibiotics, 9 months on a VAC device, and 15 months of walking in a boot, later . . . I am now looking at life following a complete ankle and subtalar fusion (no part of my ankle moves--except my toes). I am overjoyed that my fusion surgery was successful and am looking forward to learning how to walk again! I was just given the go-ahead from my doctor to begin using MBT shoes and to start physical therapy. I am just wondering if others have walked this road before and have any advice or insight. Thanks so much. Anneh8sldrs (Anne hates ladders)

Anonymous

"I am scheduled for ankle fusion on July 27 for club foot. I have met with many doctors around the US. How did you determine that he is the best ankle surgeon in the US?"

I wouldn't do that! Try exosym/ideo device first before any surgery

I had a partial fusion of the subtalar joint and I am in severe pain on a daily basis! it never goes away for me. sorry.

what was your injury or disability? Was it congenital? What did you have that made you have the fusion? Who did it? Please answer as I am scared beyond. I am not a candidate for ankle replacement because I am too defaormed. And, I don't want to live the rest of my life laying on a bed. They have told me for 30 years I need one....and I find found a doctor who will do a 1 level fusion and not give me a cast....

Anonymous

hi my name is ronee martinez i have had 13 surgiers on my right ankel from a compound fracture on my right5 ankel dec 7 2011 i have had a vone vac skin graph pick line do too a deep infection. i got a secound oppion and there is now no infection becaudse they removed all the srews and hard ware out my ankel now i have no movement my foot is going the other way its pretty jacked up but the doctere that vi am seeing said he can save my ankel with a bone fusion i am just a little worried about a in fection coming back i just want a normal life agin i am 30 years old and i just had a baby i wanted too just talk too a couple people that has had a bone fusion and if they worked for them

Anonymous

I had the ankle replacement (STAR) and I would recommend this before fusion. I had total movement of my ankle within a few weeks. Many podiatrists apparently do not keep up with the latest ankle surgeries. Others in fact do the replacement surgery. I would recommend looking into the replacement first. If you want your ankle immobilized you can always go that route later if the replacement does not work.

Who did your STAR ankle replacement surgery? I had a subtalar fusion that did not fuse and then a revisinal subtalar fusion that is only 50% fused. I was told the ankle replacement surgeries are not as advanced to date. I am seeing the top foot and ankle surgeon in the country. I would love more info.

who is your surgeon?

Robert Anderson at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, NC

He's an amazing surgeon. Very knowledgeable.

That guy jacked me up big time and wanted to go back in after giving me severe burns from placing a cast on my leg without the protective sleeve. If they screw you up good luck finding an attorney that will assist because Carolinas Medical Center is huge ( I worked there). Watch out for this guy!!

So sorry for you. I know how you feel as I had a failed radical osteotomy.The problem is a strange....the better the doctor, the better his reputation in the medical community, the more difficult it will be to ever sue. Yes, you will find an attorney who will take your case and put you through the wringer, and then at the end, or just before the end, tell you that the experts all say the guy has an excellent reputation, and he/she is worried that if you lose you will have to pay the doctor's legal costs