Q: 

Living with an ankle fusion and subtalar fusion--Any advice?

By March 30, 2010 - 9:51pm

In January of 2009, I fell from a ladder and suffered a catastrophic open-bone fracture of my talus. Not only was the talus shattered, but I immediately developed a serious infection and subsequent deep wound. 9 surgeries, 8 months of IV antibiotics, 9 months on a VAC device, and 15 months of walking in a boot, later . . . I am now looking at life following a complete ankle and subtalar fusion (no part of my ankle moves--except my toes). I am overjoyed that my fusion surgery was successful and am looking forward to learning how to walk again! I was just given the go-ahead from my doctor to begin using MBT shoes and to start physical therapy. I am just wondering if others have walked this road before and have any advice or insight. Thanks so much. Anneh8sldrs (Anne hates ladders)

Anonymous

hi my name is ronee martinez i have had 13 surgiers on my right ankel from a compound fracture on my right5 ankel dec 7 2011 i have had a vone vac skin graph pick line do too a deep infection. i got a secound oppion and there is now no infection becaudse they removed all the srews and hard ware out my ankel now i have no movement my foot is going the other way its pretty jacked up but the doctere that vi am seeing said he can save my ankel with a bone fusion i am just a little worried about a in fection coming back i just want a normal life agin i am 30 years old and i just had a baby i wanted too just talk too a couple people that has had a bone fusion and if they worked for them

Anonymous

I had the ankle replacement (STAR) and I would recommend this before fusion. I had total movement of my ankle within a few weeks. Many podiatrists apparently do not keep up with the latest ankle surgeries. Others in fact do the replacement surgery. I would recommend looking into the replacement first. If you want your ankle immobilized you can always go that route later if the replacement does not work.

Who did your STAR ankle replacement surgery? I had a subtalar fusion that did not fuse and then a revisinal subtalar fusion that is only 50% fused. I was told the ankle replacement surgeries are not as advanced to date. I am seeing the top foot and ankle surgeon in the country. I would love more info.

who is your surgeon?

Robert Anderson at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, NC

He's an amazing surgeon. Very knowledgeable.

I am scheduled for ankle fusion on July 27 for club foot. I have met with many doctors around the US. How did you determine that he is the best ankle surgeon in the US?

(reply to Anonymous)

I'm sorry, I thought I was replying to someone who had the STAR ankle replacement. I just saw you're having a total fusion.

I would google top US foot and ankle surgeons. He only other doctors I considered going to see were Clanton in Vail, CO and Brodsky in Texas. I'm not sure who would be the best for a club foot but those guys know the lastest info and would not steer you wrong.

Anonymous (reply to pems)

I saw Brodsky in Texas. He was amazing - knew more than any other doctor I had seen in 30 years. However, I did not want to be alone in Texas for a month healing post surgery until I could fly. He recommended I have the surgery in LA with Dr. David Thordarson, whom he highly recommended. I still think that Brodsky would be the best.

(reply to Anonymous)

Foot surgery is extremely painful so being alone for a month, healing would be very difficult.

I had a 6 hour drive post-op and then flew back to Charlotte for my 2 week post-op check up. Traveling is very difficult so, if you can avoid it, I would.

If Brodsky recommended someone, I know you will be in great hands.

Anonymous (reply to pems)

how is your ankle now?