Living with an ankle fusion and subtalar fusion--Any advice?

By anneh8sldrs March 30, 2010 - 9:51pm

In January of 2009, I fell from a ladder and suffered a catastrophic open-bone fracture of my talus. Not only was the talus shattered, but I immediately developed a serious infection and subsequent deep wound. 9 surgeries, 8 months of IV antibiotics, 9 months on a VAC device, and 15 months of walking in a boot, later . . . I am now looking at life following a complete ankle and subtalar fusion (no part of my ankle moves--except my toes). I am overjoyed that my fusion surgery was successful and am looking forward to learning how to walk again! I was just given the go-ahead from my doctor to begin using MBT shoes and to start physical therapy. I am just wondering if others have walked this road before and have any advice or insight. Thanks so much. Anneh8sldrs (Anne hates ladders)

Anonymous

As I posted before, I eventually opted to have an amputation after 13 saved surgeries and chronic infection. I have now been an amputee for 5 years and am VERY happy and pain free! Feel free to write me if you are considering this as an option and would like more information.

Anonymous

I just had my ankle fused Nov. 18 2015 . I just came out the cast this Mon. I'm in severe pain when I walk in the boot. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this also? If this is normal untill i build up mussel .

I had the same situation with both the first fusion two years ago and the second, subtalar fusion last year. When the doc told me to put the boot on after the last cast came off and told me to walk, I was in pain. So he told me to take it easy and use the crutches as needed until I could go without them. That was much easier for me and I healed fine. But, my next surgery this summer is to have all the screws pulled out because one of them I can feel right near my heal and it hurts. Doc said it was better to take them all out than just one because they all need to come out if I ever want an ankle replacement down the line.

I had my 3rd surgery February 2015. I had no weight barring for 6 weeks. My foot did not hurt in the boot when I started using it

Hi I had my ankle fused 2 years ago. When I had the cast off and went in the boot I was not allowed to put full weight on it for another 3-4?weeks. It was meant to be gradual as it would be very painful. From memory they told me only 30% weight once in the boot.

Anonymous

I had my ankle fused in 2012, but the doctor didn't fuse the subtablar (?) for some unknown reason and so I am in pain constantly. I am getting ready to have the subtablar done in February, 2015. I hope this takes out my pain. My fusion went great, so I hope this one goes well aslo. My right foot has plates, screws and staples in it from an accident.

Anonymous

Im 20 years old and just had my subtalar fusion a week ago exactly. I had severe arthritis and was born with a rigid subtalor joint. my surgeon did and excellent job and I am already in no pain. They took a bone graft from my pelvis as well which hurts more than the fusion itself. All in all I can already say my arthritis pain is gone and all I can feel is soarness from the screw.

Anonymous

I was thrown from a horse seventeen years ago breaking my leg in four places and crushing my ankle. After surgery and wearing a fixator for several months, my leg healed fine, but I have had nine surgeries on my ankle. This last surgery my doctor fused all the joints in my right ankle. The only part that will move are my toes. I will be non weight bearing for twelve weeks and I am so ready to be able to put weight on it and start walking on it again. These past seventeen years have been a nightmare. The pain I have endured with my ankle has been unbearable and I am hoping now I will get some relief from this last surgery.

Anonymous

So fell of a roof on 17/9/15 broke talus in 10 pieces and 4 fractures no surgery can be done due to how bad and the surgeon is not confident he can fix it so meeting it heal by it self (taking its god damn time) then he recommends a sub talar fusion as my joint is no longer any good there touching must of compressed when I hit the ground so just was wondering if anyone else just got a sub talar fusion and how's there foot now

I had a car accident in 1986 broke fibula and tibia. I was 20 at that time. Now 49. I have been in pain for years and bones were not set right. In may this year a doctor removed all my bone spurs and repaired a ligament. Unfortunately that left me with more severe pain and unable to walk without excruciating pain because all he did was made my ankle move more and rub more which I had no cartridge so it only made me rub bone to bone more. So beware if a doctor has you go that route. This doctor only had me do that because he didn't do fusions and he was money hungry. Same dr told me I needed back surgery and two knee replacements.
Anyways Sept 2nd this year I had a fusion by another doctor. I am still using walking boot. Dr told me a week and half ago I can go out of boot which I went cold turkey and walked around with swelling and dealing with massive pain. Therapist told me to go back into boot and gradually come out. I was so happy to come out of boot from being in cast etc since May (first surgery) that I really over did it. So go slow! I also had my acheles tendon shortened and I have to say that is the worst pain right now I am experiencing. Everything else is working it self out pretty good I guess. Therapists says could take year before I can really walk and enjoy things. Just great! I am just hoping I can be pain free for first time in a very very long time. As far as walking I dont feel any different really as far as motion goes because for years I couldn't move ankle well anyways probably due to massive arthritis. I wish you the best! Julie

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :