Long term affects of Her Option cryoblation?

By February 7, 2012 - 7:54am

I am 42 and had Her Option done on 12/31, Happy New Year, due to a 3 month long period that started in late November. I had the typical watery discharge for 3 weeks after the procedure and needed to wear a pad everyday. My 1st period after the procedure started on 1/28 and as of today, 2/7, I have been bleeding for 11 days. My period was extremely heavy on 1/28 and has lightened a bit, but I am still going through 3-4 pads a day. Is this length of bleeding normal for the 1st period after the procedure? or does this mean it didn't work? I am tired of bleeding, which I have been doing since Thanksgiving with the exception of 3 weeks after the procedure. At my initial exam for the extreme bleeding, the dr. did an ultrasound and found no other problems with my reproductive organs but I was anemic due to the amount and length of bleeding. I am not able to take birth control pills because I smoke, and yes I am trying to quit. Are there any other options besides Her option, birth control and a hysterectomy? I am contacting my dr. today but wanted to get some research and opinions to arm myself with.

Hi Rian

Thanks for your post and welcome!

The Her Option can take seveal months to "kick in" and does not always work for all women.

The Pill is a good idea but you are right, you can't smoke. I know how hard it is to quit though - it's REALLY hard. Perhaps being able to go on the Pill will be another incentive to start the quitting process. A hysterectomy is a big decision to make and only you can decide that; just make sure it's only a partial one!

There are also other forms of birth control like a shot, that can also limit periods - you can talk to your doctor about all your options.

I do think you need to give this a little more time although I imagine you must be so sick and tired of the bleeding.

Have you read our large Her Option thread? In case you haven't, check it here, it contains the experinces of mamy womem - some that are similar to yours: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/has-anyone-had-her-option-cryo-ablation-procedure-done-heavy-bleedingpms-cramps-i-had-

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for the support. At this time I am not able to have a hysterectomy due to some financial and health issues with my husband. I just want to get as much information as possible so I can make the right decision. I am waiting for a call back from the dr. to discuss her concern with my extended bleeding and then move into other options besides a hysterectomy.