looking for a Doctor that specilizes in "Pubis Symphysis Dysfunction" in the Phoenix Az. area

My daughter gave birth for her first time 3 months ago and is still suffering with pain due to her pelvic bone being seperated 61ml during birth. Can somebody please help me? thank you

Was a specialist for this problem ever found? I am currently in Yuma, Arizona and suffering excruciating pubis symphysis dysfunction 3 months post partum. I've had an X-ray. There isn't a physical therapist here who specializes in pelvic work. I am willing to drive to Phoenix for treatment from a Doctor of osteopath.... Or any other recommended specialist. I just want my body back.

Hi Roy - I agree with Susan that your daughter needs to be under the care of a specialist, and that she likely would benefit from physical therapy. I was able to find some limited information about this, stating that treatment varies widely and depends on the woman's degree of pain and disability. Physical therapy treatment is sometimes used to provide exercises that can improve stability and reduce pain. PT is also strongly advised to help prevent increased disability and help speed postpartum recovery. Her physician/insurance plan should be able to provide recommendations, and you can also use the following link to local a local physical therapist. http://www.moveforwardpt.com/findapt/

If you run into problems please feel free to send me a direct, private message, and I will work with my own physical therapist to seek additional information and resources for you and your daughter.

Take care,

Hi Roy,
It's Michelle. I just saw your ASK. Thanks for posting on the site. Susan, Roy and his family are dear friends of ours. Susan, we need all hands on deck for this one. Maybe some of the other moderators can research this as well. What we need is to know does she need a specialist? And I really want to find other women who've had this condition. We need to help his daughter. This has been nothing short of a nightmare for their family but especially their beautiful daughter. I hope Roy and or his daughter will one day share the
whole story on the site so other women who are pregnant can know what can happen during a delivery.
Let me contact a couple of our Medical Advisors to see who they might recommend she see. We'll do some digging to see what we can find. we need to find some other women who've had this to see what they did. I'll have someone tweet this and put it on our Facebook page as well. Also, I know our fearless community leader "T" will find some local resources. Will you please let her know to look at Roy's post?

This is such a great example of a father trying to advocate for his daughter. While her mother is helping take care of their new son.
We'll do everything we can to help you find some resources.

Best in health,

Michelle and Roy

An osteopathic doctor may what this new mom needs, but if insurance is an issue, the referral will have to come from her primary doctor or OB/GYN. At least this is the case with most insurance companies. Again, this is if regular insurance is being used.

To evaluate the need for a specialist, her medical records need to be looked at carefully as well as an actual physical evaluation.

Most OB/GYNs have some great referrals in this area since this is a condition often brought on by pregnancy and childbirth. After three months, this new mom should definitely be getting more care, along with physical therapy if needed.

Is there any way this new Mom can have her OB look into this for her also? Her medical records should show what kind of damage has been done and indicate the kind of treatment she needs. I can't imagine living in this kind of pain for months.

Roy, do you know about what has been done so far in terms of an evaluation for a specialist? The more we know the more we can find the information we need! Let us know as soon as you can!

Dear Roy

Thanks for contacting EmpowHer!

We cannot always recommend doctors in specialized areas but we will do our best! Since it's the weekend, bear with us for a few days and we will get back to you at the beginning of the week. I'm sorry your daughter is dealing with this but congratulations on your grandbaby!

In the meantime, can you tell us a bit more about her current status? Is she seeing a specialist right now for her condition? What has her OB/GYN recommended?

Labor & Delivery

Labor & Delivery Guide