Looking for Sore Throat Remedies

By May 28, 2009 - 4:34pm

A friend of mine has strep throat, is on meds but her throat is still very sore. Does anyone know of any sore throat remedies that really work?

I agree that gargling with salt water can really help; my only problem is that I have to be careful as it makes me gag. Last thing you need with a really sore throat is to throw up!

Other people use a mix of lemon and honey and drink it slowly - and others again use a ginger drink.

I hope your friend gets better soon, a throat that is terribly sore like that is dreadful. I've had it a few times myself and it's a miserable feeling.

One more thing - a nice whiskey drink with lemon and cloves is wonderful (if your friend is of legal age!) Boil water, add to a glass, along with a shot of whiskey, squeezed lemon and lots of cloves. I'm not sure if it's just the whiskey talking but one or two of those will mellow out the throat.

I've never had strep throat, but I've had many a sore throat and gargling with salt water has always helped.

Here's what Mayo Clinic online offers as home care:

Gargle with warm salt water. For older children and adults, gargling several times a day can help relieve throat pain. Mix 1/4 teaspoon (1.2 milliliters) of table salt in 8 ounces (237 milliliters) of warm water. Be sure to tell your child to spit out the liquid after gargling.

Read the rest of their remedial plan here.

(reply to alysiak)

I was interested to read their remedial plans, but your link is broken.

Just thought you'd want to know.

Strep Throat

Strep Throat Guide