Losing my mind

By May 16, 2016 - 10:09pm

I had sex with my boyfriend on April 17th (the day after my period had ended) . We won't have sex unless we had a condom but this time the condom broke and we weren't sure if he got out in time. Within the hour I took an emergency contraceptive. My period was supposed to come on the 6th of May and it's now the 17th. I've also had four pregnancy tests using First Response and they all came out negative. I am also moving into an apartment later this week, I started a new job, and there's a lot of family problems going on. Could I be pregnant? Is my period delayed because of the EC or because I'm stressed or maybe both? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi GabrielleM1258

Thanks for your post! You're not losing your mind, you're stressed as you have a lot going on.

The odds of you being pregnant are very low, about 5% and even then there may not have been ejaculation so that you mean you have no risk at all.

Since all your tests are negative and you took EC, you're probably not pregnant and your cycle is delayed due to stress and EC. Irregular periods the month after taking EC is common.

I know it's really frustrating to have to wait for your period. It's not something we usually look forward to unless in cases like this!

I really do think your period will be along soon, the worst part is the waiting.

Read more about EC here: http://www.empowher.com/birth-control/content/facts-about-emergency-contraceptive-pills

Good luck with your move!