Is low BUN dangerous?

By September 2, 2014 - 8:52am

Hi, I recently just took a blood test and my BUN level is a 4. It was a six 2 years ago so it's dropping. My creating level is .70 so that's fine. My protein is high it's a 8.9. So I don't understand how my BUN would be low I thought it had to do with lack of protien. Ido t think I am over hydrated I only drink about 6-8 cups of water a day. Could this be dangerous and what can I do?

Hello Bathsheva,

Thank you for your question.

I can provide you with general information. But, your physician is the person who should be interpreting your lab test results. A follow up appointment should be scheduled to discuss the blood tests, what the results indicate, and how this all applies to you.

BUN stands for blood urea nitrogen test which is commonly done to measure the amount of urea nitrogen that is in your blood.

The liver produces ammonia, which contains nitrogen after it breaks down proteins used by the cells in the body. The nitrogen combines with other elements, such as carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, to form urea, which is a chemical waste product.

The urea travels from the liver to the kidneys by way of the bloodstream. The kidneys filter urea and remove other waste products from the blood. The filtered waste products, including urea, are eliminated through urine.

In general, a low BUN value may be caused by a diet very low in protein, malnutrition, or severe liver damage. Drinking excessive amounts of liquid may cause over hydration and subsequently, a low BUN value. Women have lower values than men because of how their bodies break down protein.

Bathsheva, please speak with your physician about these lab test results.