Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: lower back pain on right started 4 days ago. Itches and numbness.Doesn't hurt to touch. This morning pain in the right side 4 inches across from my belly button. itches and pain. Tonight it goes around from front to back???

The pain first felt like a cramp in my lower back then like a constant dull ache. This has been going on for 4 days. It started in the small of my back and now goes half way up my back. Then it started to get numb to the touch, now I itch. The same thing has now happened to my front right side and the itching and numbness has gone all around my middle on one side. I'm 49 years old. Always healthy. Excercise every morning. Feel more tired than normal. More stressed than normal.

Anonymous

After researching I discovered that it could have something to do with your kidneys. I have had the same symptoms as all of you had. Crazy itching. Have scratch marks especially on my buttock area, and this morning the pain started on both sides near my hips. I believe that is where the kidneys are.

hergold1

I have had aconstant pain in my right hand side of my back behind the top of my hip.I am due to go for an MRI scan in a weeks time.I notice that I itched there a little but did not conect it.But now it is itching more often,I am wondering if it is connect to the constant pain.I am sure it is not Shingles,and there is no bumps or rash.
My job is caring,and I do a lot of moving and handling,which with this bad back I can not do.The pain hurts more just picking up a kettle,bending down is fine,but coming back up it is a differant matter,painful.I am moving around as much as possible,as I know this is a good thing. Can you help please.It does feel like a trapped nerve. but the itching does not fit that does it.?

Anonymous

hi. I googled back pain that itches and this article came up. It's kinda crazy, but my problem is exactly the same. It has been four days since it has startef and the symptoms are exact to the T. I don't want to go to the doc if I don't need to. I'm curious to read what her doc tells her. I will stay posted. Thank you.

Bridgett

Diane Porter

Anon,

This is going to sound crazy, but the first thing I want to be sure you don't have is shingles. And the reason is because an outbreak of shingles follows the nerve endings, which wind around the trunk of the body from back to front. But after a few days of sensitivity and itching (like a bug bite), shingles breaks out into bumps that hurt like there's no tomorrow. And you're not describing that.

Where the pain has crept, have you any redness? Anything rash-like in appearance?

The second thing I wondered is whether you've injured a muscle in your back and that, after a few days, the opposing muscles are overcompensating for the injured muscle. Could this be possible? Were you doing anything four or five days ago where you could have hurt your back?

And the other thing I wonder about is a herniated disc in your spine, because of the ache and numbness you are feeling. But in that case, I don't understand what would be causing the itching. Sometimes a circulation problem can cause itching/numbness but normally results in that pins-and-needles feeling we all know so well.

Do any of these sound likely to you? Or have I missed the mark entirely?

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

Thanks for your comments,
Yesterday I went to the doctor with no answers. Shingles was what I thought a few days ago but no rash.
Every morning I do some type of exercise or yoga. I have been doing this for 4 months 4 to 5 time per week. I have had sore muscles but nothing like this.
The soreness has now turned into a burning sensation, like a 2nd degree burn, I still have the numbness and the itchy feeling. At night I wake up with the burning so bad that I rub real hard until i can get that area numbed and I can go back to sleep for a while. When I stand up the pain isn't as bad but on my side I am very tender to the touch. For the last 4 days the pain in the front seems to not be in the same spot for more than a few hours but there is a pain somewhere. Like first appendix area then uterus are and maybe bladder area. The doctor wants to do a cat scan but due to that cost and my deductible I don't want to unless it doesn't go away or I can't get a diagnosis.
Tomorrow I am going to the chiropractor to see if maybe my sciatic could be part of the problem

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Please let us know what the chiropractor says, so we can help you find answers. You will be one step closer to a hopeful diagnosis (or, at least to rule out other factors).

The doctor you went to, where you received no answers. Was s/he able to provide any resources, alternatives or rule out some medical conditions?

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :