Is lumpectomy necessary?

A mammogram on March 30, 2012, revealed breast calsifications in my right breast that were forming a pattern which they considered "suspicious". I had a biopsy on April 17, 2012, which showed "A Typical" cells, but no cancer. My doctor recommended I follow up with the breast surgeon/ specialist. The surgeon recommended I have a lumpectomy, even though no cancer was detected. Is a lumpectomy necessary at this point when no cancerous cells were found in the biopsy? My lumpectomy is scheduled for May 14, 2012.

I can appreciate your concern. By definition, atypical means unusual or irregular. Your breast surgeon is concerned about these atypical cells and is being proactive.

The goal of lumpectomy is to remove cancer or other abnormal tissue while maintaining the appearance of your breast. It may also be used to remove certain noncancerous or precancerous breast abnormalities.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. Removing this atypical tissue may prevent the development of breast cancer.

Breast Calcifications