me and my husband are planning for a baby but i am undergoing treatment for pcod i have been asked to take tab folvite and metformin will this help? doctor says its a 3 months course will i get prenant after 3 months easily?

By February 9, 2011 - 4:26am

Hi pooh

The medication you are on have seen success in women with PCOS getting pregnant (although miscarriage is always a worry). Folvite is a supplement to provide you with folic acid in case you get pregnant (folic acid is crucial to a healthy pregnancy) and Meformin is a medication for Type 2 Diabetes but it has been used with success to help women with PCOS get pregnant.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that Metformin will work for you but from what I have read, up to 50% of women who cannot get pregnant due to their PCOS, do so after being treated with Metformin. So a 50/50 shot really isn't bad, considering you may not naturally conceive at all, without it.

You are doing good things at the moment to try to have a baby so keep up what you're doing now and see what the next few months bring. Remember that women with perfectly normal reproductive systems can take up to 12 months to get pregnant so you'll need to be patient. I know how hard that is when you're so anxious to get pregnant but try to hang in there and give it time (and have lots of sex!).

Please let us know any updates and I wish you and your husband the best in your baby-making plans.

thank u susan for the precious response. i also had a querry that what do i do if with god's grace i conceive. i mean do i still have to continue with these medicines even during my pregnancy? when do i stop taking them?

HERWriter Guide (reply to pooh)

Hi again!

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this as it's only something your doctor can discuss with you.

You may be advised to continue to use a folic acid supplement (most pregnant women do) in the form of a prenatal vitamin, perhaps but as for the Metformin - that is something that needs to be discussed with your health care provider.

I hope this helps,

ok thank you so much and i will be in touch with you. take care

(reply to pooh)

hi.. out of concern i got my ultrasound done today for pcod. last ultrasound i got done was in may 2010. and i started taking medication for pcod in january this year.but after reading the results of my pcod i was tensed as in previous USG it showed the size of cystic areas to be 3-4mm and in present USG it is 4-5mm.
even the size of rt ovary was 33 by 29 by 22mm and left ovary 32 by 31 by 26mm but my present report says the size of lt ovary is 26 by 23 by 19mm and rt ovary 27 by 26 by 21mm. i was wondering that after atleast 1 month of medication the results wud hv been better but its highly dissapointing. please suggest wt cud be the reason. is it a matter of comcern? or shud i keep patience as it will take time to resolve?

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide