Hello, I am 23 years old and I would like to say that I've never had a regular period. However the past two years have gotten worse. I had a d&c in April 2009. It took 4 months after the procedure to get my period. Since then I am EXTREMELY sporadic. I have had my period for 13 weeks at a time. Most of the time it's very heavy off and on as well. I clot so bad at times that I cannot even leave my house. I have begun taking FertilAid by Fairhaven Health out of Washington state. It has worked wonders for me but it hasn't helped me figure out the cause of my problems. Could I have fibroids? And since the medicine seems to be working should I still be concerned. I do not have health insurance at the time so a doctor visit isn't in my near future. Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Some women are lucky with regular periods, others have to fight irregularity for their entire fertile lives.Here are some reasons for your condition:

■Menstrual cycle hormone dysfunction (imbalance)
■Cervical or endometrial polyps
■Uterine fibroids
■Infection (pelvic infections)
■Blood-clotting disorders
■Anticoagulant medications (blood thinners)
■Anti-inflammatory medications (large amounts over a long period of time)
■Liver, kidney, or thyroid disease
■Problems with an intrauterine device (IUD)
■Ectopic pregnancy
■Ovarian cysts
■Chronic medical conditions
■ Cancer of the uterus or cervix (rare)
■Vaginal injury from trauma or sexual abuse
■ Complications from pregnancy, such as miscarriage

Treatment of menorrhagia will depend on the underlying cause. Women who experience persistent excessive bleeding should discuss with their healthcare provider whether to take iron supplements to prevent anemia.

If there is no medical disorder causing your menorrhagia, your doctor may prescribe the following:

These may include:
■Hormone therapy (estrogen and/or progestogen hormones by mouth, skin application, vaginal application, or injection)
■An IUD that releases a progestogenic drug (Mirena)
■Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and mefenamic acid (Ponstel, Ponstan)

Surgical Procedures

Procedures may include:
■Dilation and curettage (D&C)
■Operative hysteroscopy—A long, thin instrument is inserted into the uterus that can aid in removal of a polyp or fibroid.
■Endometrial ablation or resection—The surgical removal of the lining of the uterus using heat, microwave, or surgical tools. After this procedure, you will not be able to carry a pregnancy.
■Hysterectomy—The surgical removal of the uterus. After this procedure, you will not be able to carry a pregnancy. If the ovaries are also removed, early menopause will follow.

Your age, overall health, and medical history should be considered when choosing treatment. Discuss with your doctor your plans for having children.

For most women there are no specific steps for prevention. However, if your menorrhagia is caused by a medication, you may prevent the condition by discontinuing use of this medicine.

Anon, obviously at your age, a hysterectomy should not be an option.

You may find that you need to be on this medication longterm. Unfortunately, some people cannot get to the bottom of their condition and find that long term treatment is the answer, rather than a cure that cannot be found. This doesn't mean, of course, that this is the case for you.
For more information, click here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menorrhagia

I wish you the best,

Hypermenorrhea Guide