Meniscus problems

By August 31, 2009 - 8:59am

9 months ago I had patella femoral replacemnt, deep implant removal and arthroscopy of the meniscus. The first two procedures are fine, however the meniscus has never healed. I will be standing in the kitchen or at work and suddenly with no warning, my knee will buckle and give way. I am very active, so morning walks are important to me, so when I walk a few miles one morning or play a round of golf, the next morning I can barely walk. This is very depressing for me. Them my husband keeps me in tears by throwing in his remarks that his friend had both of his knees done a month before me and he is doing just great. I just do not know what to do next.

Hi, Shirlocke:

I don't have anything new to suggest, as you're already going to have another consultation with your surgeon. But, I do want to say to your hubby that it's neither fair nor appropriate to compare your surgery with someone else's. Sure, my neighbor across the street had replacement surgery on both knees and she's doing just fine, too. But, that doesn't mean she had exactly the same issues as you.

Please also ask your surgeon about any exercises to help strengthen the muscles that support your knees.

Wishing you well.

Thanks for the update shirlocke-

I have another question for you (sorry!) but how long has the pain been with you? Has it been this painful since the beginning or is it something gradual? Sudden? Did it happen after PT ended?

You may need to go back to PT or inform your doctor/surgeon of this, particularly if it's this unbearable.

My plan is to have yet another consultation with my surgeon. I was hoping you may have some suggestions.

Dear Shirlocke

Thank you so much for your question/comment and welcome to EmpowHer!

Firstly, I'm sure your husband means well but for him to make the comments he did is the same as someone saying "I don't know why that person died of cancer - my friend had cancer and he's fine now!". It's a senseless thing to say - one person's operation and recovery has nothing to do with anyone else's, nor can one make a comparison!

I don't blame you for feeling depressed about the whole thing. Most people are back to 'normal' by six months post-surgery and to still be in so much pain is very disheartening after 9 months.

An unfortunate outcome of this kind of surgery is that not only does the pain remain, but it can actually get worse. Check out EmpowHer's page on this very topic here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/meniscectomy

I assume you went into physical therapy after your surgery. This should be really helping you - what kind of P.T. are you doing? Are you still have sessions? Is your therapist aware of the pain?

I did go to physical therapy after surgery and I was back on my feet within a few months as the major part of the surgery was the patella femoral replacment. I now do my own therpy in the form of walking and therapy at the hot springs pool.