I feel like I am going crazy, get so anxious

Thank you for your post and welcome!

Menopause is a very natural part of life but can be a difficult time for many women and it sounds like you may be one of them.

Can you let us know more about yourself, how old you are and what your symptoms are?

Also, please take a look at our extensive Menopause page here, when we talk about symptoms, treatments and a lot more. You can also read about natural treatments and read lots of articles from experts and also from women going through the same thing as you right now: http://www.empowher.com/condition/menopause

and also feel free to join our Menopause Group which is full of guidance and support!: http://www.empowher.com/groups/menopause

We hope to hear more from you!

I am 53 years old and my menstrual cycles stopped for 6 months, then started again. They last for 7 or 8 days now and very heavy. I have started feeling anxious, heart palpatations, I get weird thoughts going through my head like sadness and doom, my weight gain is unbelievable and I am having migraine headaches a lot more, almost daily headaches. I don't sleep well, but, the biggest problem is the weird thoughts, I get weak and feel faint when this happens too. Also, I have been really dizzy. Can you tell me if I am normal? I have never been depressed or had any mental issues before, I can handle the other stuff, I just want my head stuff to get better. Oh yes, I tried Yaz birth control and thought I was losing my mind! It made me crazy to say the least. Please offer me some words of encouragement that this too will pass!

Thanks for the update.

I promise you that Menopause will not last, just like babyhood, the toddler and teen years. Or any stage in life.

But I will tell you that you should see your doctor very soon regarding your feelings and the panic/anxiety you're feeling. While the physical aspects of menopause are very difficult, your mental/emotional state does need to be discussed and seen to. You may have a new chemical imbalance in your brain or body that's connected to menopause or it could be unrelated and you're not getting it seen to because you think there's a correlation where there isn't.

Of course you're normal! I had had women tell me that they felt almost psychotic at times (although highly doubtful in the real sense of the word) during menopause and that they were called "crazy". You're not crazy at all but you DO need to talk to someone about this. Menopause can last one to a few years - don't allow your emotional state to last that long too. There are treatments that can help you.

Will you at least put a call into the doctor? Don't wait - if you wait to get treated you'll be so upset that you hadn't done it sooner. I promise you there is help and what you're going through WILL stop, so make the call!

And please keep us posted!

Menopause Guide