menopause and menses cycle

By Anonymous April 3, 2009 - 12:52pm

My mom is right now 52 years old, she's going to be 53 this November. I've heard that she stops her period about 1 year ago, and now she has it again but not heavy and lasts around 6 days. Is it normal or is it something bad?

Anon, I am 51 years old, and my experience was very similar to your mother's.

I had gone a year without a period and had decided that I was in menopause. And then a month or two later, there it was -- a complete period, just like before.

Hormones fluctuate a lot in women going through menopause. And like Susan said, medicine can also affect us. I do agree that it would be good for your mom to make an appointment with her doctor to make sure everything is fine. But I don't think that just because her period came again that there is necessarily something wrong.

You like a very thoughtful daughter. Take care, and please let us know if there if we can be of any more help.

Thank you for your question!

Menopause is a tricky topic because symptoms vary so much, with different women and menopause can begin in a huge age range - from age 40 to 55! It can last several months to several years.

It is generally thought that once a woman your mother's age hasn't had her period in 12 months, her period is now permanently over. If she is 12 months clear, as you said, she may want to consider seeing a doctor to find out why bleeding would suddenly occur again.

Unless a woman is having her period, preparing to give birth or post-birth, vaginal bleeding is not considered normal.

Has she been having any other symptoms? Is she on any medication, whether for menopausal symptoms or something else?

Menopause Guide